Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello...

My first chicks of this season...

I'll start with the pair that I do know...

The first clutches parents are Double Factor Spangle (****) x Lutino (Hen)

I think that two of the chicks are Lime Green Spangles, but if this could be confirmed, that would be fab...

The other two chicks are both Double Factor Spangles, but one has a really cool faint lime green ring around the front of it's neck...

The second Clutch is the one that I'm confused with...

The parents are Lacewing (****) x Violet Fallow (Hen)

They had three chicks in this clutch - two have lovely cinnamon marking like their mother, but no violet on their rump... The last one has no cinnamon marking but has faint violet on it's rump - all of their eyes are a plum colour...

So... Are they Lacewings too? And the last one, can it be considered a Fallow if there are no wing markings?

Very confused - hope you can help...

NB: My Lacewing is more like a Cinnamon Albino - he has light violet cheek patches and very poor cinnamon wing markings, which are only on the tops of his shoulders...

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your lutino hen must be masking spangle to produce double factor spangle chicks . The chick with with green suffusion is really cool. The 4th chick is opaline spangle so your double factor spangle **** must be split for opaline.

The 2 chicks pictured from the 2nd pair both look like lacewings. The brown markings will probably increase after their moult. To produce a fallow chick the lacewing **** would have to be split for fallow. Do you have a picture of the 3rd chick?

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought they were Lacewings - but they don't have Spots or Cheek patches, so when I was researching it, I got a little confused!!

I'm really excited, cause at least one of the new 'Lacewing' chicks is a boy... The third chick was still in the nest, so I couldn't get a good picture of it, cause it's Mum went straight back on eggs, and won't let me into the box... It fledged early this evening, so I'll get some pics tomorrow...

I was surprised to see the Opaline showing through on the DFS Father, but more surprised to get two DFS - they look like hens, so I'll be saving one of them to mate with the Lutino male I got from you earlier this year..

I'll post the pic of the third chick tomorrow - I'm very happy with my first chicks of the season!!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I thought they were Lacewings - but they don't have Spots or Cheek patches, so when I was researching it, I got a little confused!!

I'm really excited, cause at least one of the new 'Lacewing' chicks is a boy...
For one of the lacewing chicks to be a boy the mother would have to be a lacewing too

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm not the worlds greatest person for sexing young!! But at this stage I would say that it's looking like a Boy...

Now I'm even more confused!!

Here are pictures of the chicks Mother - this picture was taken when she was younger, and her eyes still don't have any iris'... They are a lovely Plum Colour...

Perhaps the chicks are actually Fallows - but their rump colour hasn't developed yet?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.