Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bird makes a LOT of sounds. Some are obviously normal trilling sounds, but while I THOUGHT the other sounds were the beginning of speech, they're not turning into anything (and he's spitting out some more unfamiliar sounds almost daily).

Soooo... I'm looking for videos of, well, budgies learning to talk! What do they sound like?

TIA!

· Registered
12,566 Posts
Do you regularly talk to him? Talk in a high sort of voice, My budgie started to make sounds and babble much like a baby does LOL. then he said HI and now he says so many sentences it is great .:budgie:

· Registered
897 Posts
This is Penry practicing some phrases:

It's funny to watch this now because things he was learning then ("pick on somebody your own size"), he is a lot better at now, about a month later. I can tell when he's picking up a new phrase by listening for syllables or inflections from the phrase scattered in birdie clicks or squeaks.

Hope this helps :)

· Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Disco is a long time favourite here. He rocks!

This is Penry practicing some phrases:

It's funny to watch this now because things he was learning then ("pick on somebody your own size"), he is a lot better at now, about a month later. I can tell when he's picking up a new phrase by listening for syllables or inflections from the phrase scattered in birdie clicks or squeaks.

Hope this helps :)
Thank you! This does help. My boy has been living with us for about 2 months now, and the strange garbled sounds started at least a month ago. But the thing is that I don't know if they're normal trilling sounds or the start of learning to speak. I have no idea what they are, but they're definitely catching my attention.

I'd love to see more videos of birds learning to speak! Or ones that already know how (because it's cute). :D

· Registered
1,408 Posts
Here is a video of my Chotto. He is just starting to say "baby bird" here. He also mimics my laugh a bit. At this time, we also thought he was a she! Chotto clearly says "baby bird" now but has not picked up anything else. We never taught him to say baby bird. He just picked it up as we call him baby bird all the time.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNf7QfoGVhU&list=UUSze--6ltUm3hEv71Yo5ZWg"]Chotto trying to talk - YouTube[/nomedia]

· Registered
22 Posts
My bird makes a LOT of sounds. Some are obviously normal trilling sounds, but while I THOUGHT the other sounds were the beginning of speech, they're not turning into anything (and he's spitting out some more unfamiliar sounds almost daily).

Soooo... I'm looking for videos of, well, budgies learning to talk! What do they sound like?

TIA!
My budgie just blurted out his first words in a complete phrase just after he made some deep throaty sounds like a parrot. When I heard the throat noise I immediately knew he was trying to talk and boy did he!! He said everything I had been saying to him for the 6 weeks I had him. Then he learned new things by listening intently and putting his ear to my lips. Now he just picks and chooses words he likes and incorporates them into phrases he knows. What puzzles me is he knows how to use adjectives and injects them properly on his own. I have a ton of recordings and a only a few videos. He tends to stop talking his rants when I'm filming. I can hide the recorder so
I catch his rants. Sooooo cute. Keep talking to him. No mirrors until he learns well. And spend as much time as you can bonding and talking to him. They relate speech with events and interactions with you.

· Registered
897 Posts
Mine will not talk.

I been saying "Pretty Bird" 500 times a day for 6 months and nothing :(

They just look at me like i am a crazy human:cool:
Heidi, it took our budgie forever to talk! What we finally learned was that you have to say the phrase right in their face. Have them on your finger or sitting somewhere, put your mouth almost touching its face, and repeat the phrase with lots of enthusiasm. If he isn't learning "pretty bird" you can switch to a new phrase. Some birds never talk unfortunately or just never say certain phrases for some reason...

· Member of the Month March 2015
1,887 Posts
How young is too young for a bird to talk? Sammy is 2.5 months, and he's mimicking kissing noises (especially when he wants to play with a toy) but he hasn't said anything distinct. He chatters a lot when we aren't playing with him, though.

· Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine will not talk.

I been saying "Pretty Bird" 500 times a day for 6 months and nothing :(

They just look at me like i am a crazy human:cool:
lol I did the same thing, wondering when I was going to turn into that crazy bird lady who's like "HE SAID IT", when really he didn't. lol I was seriously losing my mind. I would SWEAR I'd hear him say "baby bird" when I was washing dishes (or doing something else away from the cage), and there were even times when I'd think he said something when I wasn't even in the room (or the house!). And then one night my husband sent me a text message that said "Baby bird. Baby baby biiirrrrrrrrd". lol

He now says "pretty, pretty bird", "are you a baby bird", and I think he's trying to say "I love you", "peekaboo", and "good morning". He talks gibberish a LOT though, so I have no idea what he's going to say next. If anything. This might be it. But he says it all. day. long. So cute! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.