Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
I'm so sorry you weren't able to get an appointment until Thursday.
I know how frustrating that is. In the meantime, Cody has giving you excellent advise
I'm sending lots of prayers and healing energy for your little boy. (name?)

Have you been giving him Guardian Angel or Pedialyte? (Recipe for homemade pedialyte is in the link below)
Is he in an individual cage by himself at this point?

Keep him warm and give him Guardian Angel or Pedialyte in his water dish.
You can also soak a spray of millet in the solution and let him eat that.

Guardian Angel//Pedialyte//Pedialyte Recipe

I'd also suggest trying egg food for him.
You can use store-bought egg food or make a boiled egg and mash up the yolk very finely for him.
If you have any pro-biotics for your budgies, make sure you sprinkle that on his food as well.

Flora BIrd Probiotic

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
Was your veterinarian aware when you spoke to her that Nepo's base diet is Roudybush crumbles?
Does he also get a quality seed mix and fresh vegetables?

Given Roudybush is your budgies base diet, I would be extremely reluctant to add additional vitamins into the mix. Too much of a "good" thing can cause problems.
My recommendation would be to use a good Avian Pro-biotic for them instead of additional vitamins.

Check with your Avian Vet to be sure she knows about the base diet of your birds and ask if she still believes that additional vitamins are required.

IF, in the future, you need to administer medication to one of your budgies, it is best to do it via syringe (orally) rather than in the water.
The Avian Veterinarian can instruct you on how to best administer medication via oral syringe.
When you give medication by water, there is no way of knowing how much the budgie is actually getting.

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
Cilantro is fine to give your budgies.
Budgies LOVE spicy tastes. Even hot peppers!

Safe Foods for Budgies

I'd stay away from the Kaytee brand of millet in the future.
You have to ensure the millet has no mold on it and is fresh.
Also, I would suggest you give just one little ball of the millet to each budgie rather than letting them chew on a spray of millet.

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
No, having the cuttlebone in the cage is not dangerous and I would not remove them.
Budgies know when their bodies need additional calcium.
Sometimes they will decimate a cuttlebone in a day or two and other times they won't touch it for months.

I use Roudybush pellets and I always keep both a cuttlebone and mineral block in my budgies' cages.

The pro-biotic you linked is perfectly fine for your budgies.

You can try Living World millet or Brown's Extreme Natural Millet -- both are available through Chewy.com

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
No, you haven't made a mistake in mixing the Zupreen and the Roudybush -- there is no problem that they have similar vitamins.
The budgies are only going to eat a certain amount of either or both. It isn't as if they are going to double their pellet intake.

You can give your budgies plenty of vegetables when they are on a primarily pelleted diet.

Safe Foods for Budgies

Is Nepoleon still lethargic and stumbling?

It sounds as if your Avian Vet believes your budgie is suffering from Ataxia.
As Cody indicated in her earlier post on this thread, the underlying cause can be many different things.
I'm surprised that the Avian Vet did not do a CBC and fecal gram stain at the very minimum.

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
Weather changes might cause respiratory issues.
I just can't understand how it would affect a budgie neurologically (stumbling) unless it is something to do with the inner ear.
If it were me, I would ask for clarification from the vet on exactly how she thinks the weather changes could be causing Neopolean's problems.

Neopolean isn't over-weight even though he eats more than the others, is he?

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
Yes, you can add the probiotic along with the vitamin supplement to the food.

I agree with you that using the vitamin supplement for a few days to see if it helps should not cause any issues.

33 grams is a fine weight for your little fellow!

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
You are NOT a bother. I want to do whatever I ca to try to help you through the problems with Napoleon.
Napoleon is definitely not well. I can see that he is having trouble balancing himself and it looks as though he is also breathing a bit heavily.
Napoleon is a beautiful boy and I really hope you can get some more definitely answers when you talk to the vet on Monday.

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
The vitamins and probiotics will help with Napoleon's immune system which is a good thing.

The stumbling is a different story and I still haven't come to terms with why your vet thinks that the weather change is the cause of that unless he has a middle ear infection that was exacerbated by the change in weather.

If the breathing and/or tail bobbing become more pronounced, then I'd suggest using a WARM mist humidifier in the room with the budgies' cage.
You can add a drop or two of 100% pure Eucalyptus Essential Oil to the water which helps to open the airways.

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
I won't use Kaytee products at all because of all the bad reviews and recalls.
You could be right about that being the cause of Napoleon's illness but without testing you won't know for sure.
I'm SO sorry you are going through this.

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
Sending lots of love, prayers and healing energy for your sweet Napoleon.
I've thought from the beginning that his problem was something neurological -- although Cody's suggestion of it being Gout also makes perfect sense.
I hope the Avian Vet is able to properly diagnose the problem and get the right treatment protocol in place.

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
I don't understand why the vet would prescribe Baytril (which is a broad-spectrum antibiotic) when she doesn't know what the cause of the problem is.
Antibiotics only work on BACTERIAL infections.
Unneeded antibiotics may lead to future antibiotic-resistant infections.

I would suggest you put Napoleon in a small "hospital" cage and provide him with flat perches and ramps.

When you called your regular vets office did you ask that they contact you if there are any cancellations and explain that your budgie is rapidly getting worse?
Let them know you believe this a very serious condition and are concerned that the longer the wait for the vet visit, the greater the chances are the budgie will not recover as well.

Sometimes vet clinics have "emergency" appointments and since that is your regular vet they may try to accommodate you more than they would a "new client".

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
It's very hard to see his feet and legs in the video. When you look at him, to you see any swelling or redness on the bottom portion of his feet?
Any swelling in his legs?
Poor baby is obviously in bad shape! :(

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
Thank goodness!! I’m so glad to hear this!
We’ll be looking forward to your updates after his appointment. 💜💜

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
I'm glad you were able to get Napoleon in for a visit with your regular vet.
That vet seems to be more knowledgeable about budgies and explains the possibilities and reasoning in a more logical way.
I hope the Baytril does the trick for your little fellow.

Administering medication via oral syringe

I'm sure Cody will be by to give you hints on her method.

·
Administrator
57,853 Posts
Do you have Amazon Prime?

Flat Bird Perch

Wooden Platform Perches

Put anything new outside the cage where Napoleon can see it for a couple of days.
Then, hang it on the outside of the cage for a couple of days.
After that, try putting it inside the cage.

Generally, if a budgie has a bit of time to become accustomed to something new before it is introduced into the cage, then he will feel better about it being safe when it does come in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts