Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
That's good news, so glad he has gained weight and the toe injury is not serious. The frequency of the doxy injections depends on what is being treated, under some circumstances it is given as often as weekly as in the treatment of Chlamydiosis (Psittacosis).

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
I see a slight bob, a tail bob is not always due to a respiratory infection, it can also be due to abdominal issues or any swelling of internal organs. There is not much room inside so if anything swells it takes up the space that the lungs and air sacs occupy and that effects the breathing because the expansion capability is reduced.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
I know we have talked about this before but metal toxicosis is still in the back of my mind and if the vet recommends any blood work I would want to include a test for that, more so to completely rule it out .

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
It's possible, I hate to think that he might have some toxicosis that could be successfully treated and treatment is not being given for lack of testing. Sometimes if testing is too stressful treatments can be given based on suspected issues providing the treatments would do no harm if given.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
I don't have any experience with staph infections in birds but given the results of the culture it's good that he got the additional doxy injection, glad to hear he is doing well.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
You and I are in almost the same situation. I got home from the office to find one of my guys has some issue with his left foot/leg and will not put any weight on it, he was fine this morning. I called the vet and I am giving him .01ml of Metacam for now, and keeping him separate and quiet, if it does not help he will have to go in, he was just there yesterday for a beak trim!

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
Good to hear Napoleon is doing well. It does sound like your hen is being nasty due to her hormone levels, this is also putting stress on Napoleon. How much light do the birds get on a daily basis? You can try reducing it to only 8 hours of daylight a day but that would mean that all would be subject to that if you keep them together. I have a hen that is a chronic egg layer, I tried everything including hormone shots, nothing stopped her and finally after she prolapsed, it ended up that I had to remove her from the flock. She now lives with one other female away from all the other birds, out of sight and out of hearing them and so far she has been ok. You might end up having to keep her in a separate cage if you can't stop the egg laying. The vet may want to have a look at her, I would call and see if you can bring her in when you take Napoleon.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
It does not really matter what paper you put at the bottom, when a hen is broody she will rip up anything. If you take her to the vet the vet will probably confirm that she is hormonal, but you already know that, and perhaps talk about a Lupron injection to calm the hormones. It may be a bit too soon in the big picture for the injection, try more of the daylight reduction first.
Thanks for asking, my guy that appeared to have the injured leg turns out to have arthritis and a probable heart condition. I did end up taking him back to the vet. He goes in every 2 weeks for a beak trim because of a liver issue it grows like crazy, and the vet and I noticed that he seems to be getting more and more easily stressed based on his rate of respiration and I have noticed at home his breathing is sometimes to rapid and he does not have any respiratory infection. He is still on the Metacam and now a heart medication and is better, at least from a visible assessment, he's 8 years old so for a budgie he is an older bird.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
It is very important that the prolapsed tissue does not dry out. I had this happen to one of my birds last summer, if you can get this product at a pharmacy or something similar you can put it on the exposed tissue. If you cannot get it call the vet and ask them what you can put on the tissue until they see her, if it dries out that is not good.

Rectangle Font Electric blue Technology Brand

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
Is she a chroinc egg layer or is this the first time she has laid eggs? The stress of laying the eggs is what has caused the prolapse and made the inner tissue weak. The vet will reinsert the tissue and may want to hospitalize her for a couple of days to see if the tissue stays in . With my bird the tissue popped out a second time so the vet had to stitch it back in. When she came home she was on 4 different meds along with hormone injections to calm things down. She now lives with another feamle, she had to be separated from the rest of the flock because it was too stimulating for her.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
When this happened to my girl she was flying around like nothing was wrong, she flew by me and out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw something red, so I got hold of her and sure enough, tissue about the size of a pea had popped out. :oops:

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
Yikes, that turned out to be pretty involved. When an egg is stuck like that it can sometimes prevent the droppings from being passed and that is another whole issue, so glad the vet was able to collapse the egg and remove it, had it burst inside of her that would have been really bad. I would ask the vet about giving Isabel a Lupron injection to calm the hormones and stop the egg laying. Since she was basically egg bound talk to the vet about it happening again and what actions you should take. I would think that after what she has just been through the inner tissues are fairly weak and if she continues to produce eggs she may prolapse again as you have indicated. The Metacam will act as an anti inflammatory and a pain killer, that is one of the things my hen was on when she came home after her prolapse. Ask the vet about calcium supplementation, I was giving that also but you can get calcium supplements that do not have to be given directly into the mouth. I would keep her separate from the others when you get her home.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
When they are laying a lot of eggs the calcium gets depleted quickly and I don't think just the calcium in the food is enough, it may require a separate calcium supplement. When they get into a egg laying cycle it is usual to see an egg every other day. Have you ever seen or read about egg formation, it's pretty interesting, if you are interested I'll see if I can find the info.

·
Super Moderator
5,808 Posts
You might find it useful to finely grate some of the calcium block almost to a powder and sprinkle it in the food in hopes that she will ingest some of it when she eats. Ask the vet if you can use one of the products in this link if they cannot provide you with a product. Calcium Supplements
When my hen came home she was on a liquid supplement called calcium glubionate directly into the mouth, eventually she was taken of of that and the vet gave me a powder called Osteoform that gets sprinkled on the food.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.