Talk Budgies Forums banner
121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,417 Posts
I know we have talked about this before but metal toxicosis is still in the back of my mind and if the vet recommends any blood work I would want to include a test for that, more so to completely rule it out .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
The vet indeed recommended another visit. I scheduled it for tomorrow afternoon. Thank you very much for the advice, I'll ve sure to mention it. The vet has wondered about heavy metal toxicity before, too. I just wonder why Napoleon seemed to improve so much after the doxy injections if it was metal toxicosis. He was doing very badly at the end of October with so much weakness and difficulty moving at all, and now he's still not 100&, but he is more energetic. So it does seem like the three doxy injections did something. Though maybe it could have been both an infection and toxicosis?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Thank you very much! I see it says that antibiotics are used on a case by case basis, mostly to rule out secondary infection. So, if toxicosis is involved, I guess it would have been toxicosis in addition to an infection causing Napoleon's symptoms?

·
Super Moderator
4,417 Posts
It's possible, I hate to think that he might have some toxicosis that could be successfully treated and treatment is not being given for lack of testing. Sometimes if testing is too stressful treatments can be given based on suspected issues providing the treatments would do no harm if given.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
A small update on Napoleon: The vet visit went pretty well. The vet listened to Napoleon's chest and said he didn't hear any congestion. Only that Napoleon was breathing rapidly, which again the vet thought could be due to stress. Napoleon's grip hasn't necessarily improved, but he also hasn't weakened. The weight was the same at 32 grams. His right foot is a bit weaker than the left, but that's likely due to the bite. The vet suggested choanal cultures. The vet said we could do another doxy injection. The vet wasn't sure if another injection was necessary given that Napoleon seemed to be improving on his own, but also didn't think that another injection would do any harm either. We decided on the cultures and the injection. After the vet visit Napoleon was fairly lethargic and sleepy that day, but the next day he was lively and energetic, so I'm guessing it was only the stress from the vet visit. That was last week.

Napoleon still has balance issues, but he's chirping often and head bobbing to the toys in the cage. The last couple days Napoleon has been a bit less energetic, though not drastically so. Today the vet called with the results of the cultures. The lab found a staph infection. The vet asked to a sensitivity test and the lab said that the staph infection was susceptible to the doxycycline. For now the vet's advice is to continue to monitor Napoleon. The vet doesn't think any more injections should be necessary, but he says to contact the clinic should we notice Napoleon getting worse.

Does anyone have any experience with staphylococcal infections? I've been reading online but I guess I'd appreciate any insight and advice. And of course thank you to everyone in the thread for all the insight and advice throughout this entire situation!

·
Super Moderator
4,417 Posts
I don't have any experience with staph infections in birds but given the results of the culture it's good that he got the additional doxy injection, glad to hear he is doing well.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts