Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
<- - Have you met Blooby?
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've gone back to thinking about the mutations of budgies I've ever had. Lexi, which is not a surprise came across more than once because I found him to be a very fascinating color/mutation. I have bred him twice in the past, hoping I'd get a mutation that exemplified him, but that was never the case.

Anyway I was hoping to get further expertise from everyone here as to how I could possible get a mutation like him again. My guess would be to breed his offspring. The problem: Out of the four chicks, two have passed away and two have been rehomed and Lexi has since passed away.

Lexi when I first got him:

Lexi grown up:

His mutation is Goldenface Opaline Dominant Pied from what i was told.

I'd appreciate any response. :)

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
I see the YF2 as it blended so beutifully with the blue. I see pied and he has iris rings so it is not recessive. Let us see what Nev says. Guthwolf would know as well. You have peaked my curiosity. What a beautiful boy, I am sorry you lost him.

I do know that you would have to breed pied with pied or pied with someone who carries pied, or both could carry pied. Depending on the mother, the chicks may or may not have the pied gene. I think the YF2 is more random but still has to be shown or carried in at least one parent. I am so far from an expert so take what I say with a grain of salt and wait on the others :)

Reactions: MnA

·
&#9829;Budgies No.1 fan&#9829;
3,368 Posts
i think its a dominat pied..mabey
yf 2 blue mabey opaline
once again..lets see what nev has to say :D

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know his mutation already. :p
Just want to know how I can get a mutation like him.
Never saw another budgie like him ever again at the store, so I think he's pretty unique.

I first bred him with a Normal Skyblue and that produced two females who were YF2 or possible Goldenface, one being and opaline. I then bred him to Skyblue DP and got a Normal Skyblue, split to pied (if that's what the patch behind the head means) and a DDF.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
He is a beautiful bird but he doesn't look like any dominant pied I've ever seen and he is obviously not a recessive pied. I think he is an opaline clearflight pied with more that the usual amount of patchiness on his body. Bred to a normal blue hen he would be expected to produce about 12.5% female chicks very similar to himself.

If you have pictures of his chicks they might confirm his mutation

Yellow or golden face opaline clearflight pieds are available but they might not all look as patchy as this one

·
Registered
376 Posts
That's funny you would say that because we actually bred him to a normal skyblue hen.

And this is what we got.

When they got older one of them turned a green while the other stood a blue.

This pic shows his offspring from his first clutch and his offspring from his second cluctch. The skyblue chick in the second clutch carried the dominance for pied, if that's what the patch behind the head means, and so did one of his chicks from the first clutch.

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
What if you bred the offspring to a pied? Maybe even a yellowface pied. I have a few suitors but you are way too far. lol We shall see what Nev says, Your birds are stunning!

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you Ericka. :)

Sadly Lexi passed way, and so did the chicks from his first clutch. Mewsik and Leeriks are both in new homes. I really loved Lexi's mutation and am upset that I don't have a chance of seeing a bird like him ever again. Makes me want to call Leeriks owner and say if I can borrow him for sometime. :p

Can't wait to see what Nev says.

·
3,676 Posts
Can't be sure whether Mewsik has inherited her father's pied type but the others have not. As expected the females are opaline. If one has a pied spot on it's head but no other pied markings it will be split for recesessive pied not clearflight like the father (Clearflight pied cannot be carried as split). The recessive pied gene could have come from either parent.

A better photo of Mewsik would be good. She could be a combination of two pied types

·
Registered
376 Posts
First of all I'd like to say thanks for your help nev.
You've really surprised me with your knowledge on mutations.
Can I ask though How is Lexi a Clearflight Pied?
I thought in order for a bird to be clearflight they have to have all clear flight feathers, Lexi didn't his were mottled.

Here are some more pics of Mewsik, We've always thought she was a Double Factor Dominant Pied.

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
Thank you Ericka. :)

Sadly Lexi passed way, and so did the chicks from his first clutch. Mewsik and Leeriks are both in new homes. I really loved Lexi's mutation and am upset that I don't have a chance of seeing a bird like him ever again. Makes me want to call Leeriks owner and say if I can borrow him for sometime. :p

Can't wait to see what Nev says.
Oh I am sorry :( I knew you said that Lexi had passed but I did not realize his girls did too. I hope you get what you are looking for! :)

·
3,676 Posts
To be a double factor dominant pied both of Mewsik's parents would have to be dominant pied. She doesn't have enough markings to be sure but she does look like a double factor dominant pied. She must also be opaline. If she is a double factor dominant Lexi must be dominant pied but he doesn't look like the usual dominant pied to me. The frosting on the front of his body is too high and the clear areas on his wings don't extend up high enough. Clearflight pieds are usually more variable and they often (but not always) have frosting high on the front of their bodies. Combinations of clearflight and dominant pied are often very patchy and could be mistaken for other pied types. The only way to be sure would be to breed Mewsik with a normal, if all her chicks are dominant pied then Lexi must have been dominant pied, but if she produced any normals or clearflight pieds then Lexi must have been clearflight pied

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thank you a lot Nev.
You really did wonders for me in the genetics and mutations department. :p

I can say I understand a bit more.

I still have one question could he have been a combination of two pieds meaning that one parent was dominant and the other clearflight. Because I just want to figure out how someone could have gotten a budgie with his mutation.

·
3,676 Posts
It is possible but I would expect a combination dominant pied and clearfligfht pied to have a lot less markings than Lexi had.

Clearflight pieds can have just a couple of clear flight feathers or a lot of clear feathers but dominant pieds are usually more consistant. Another slight difference is that the markings on the upper wing areas are often less distinct on clearflight pieds

·
Registered
376 Posts
I love the photo of all of the birds lined up. Are you thinking of line breeding the babies? Or did it just happen that he bred with two different females?
If you don't mind me asking but what is line breeding?

We chose to breed him to two different females. He was originally supposed to be bred with a yellow recessive pied or a cinnamon female, but he never took to them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.