Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. EVERYONE knows more than I do about the possible mutations/genetics of a budgie. I just recently got curious about Liam b/c I have noticed how much less frequent the "less bright blue" budgies are in stores.
I used this site for info: http://www.***************/colorsguide.html
So I would guess his "dark factor" is two?
Would anyone venture that he has a "slate" mutation?

Thank you for your answers!

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Definitely not slate, and definitely not two dark factors. My Charlie is a double dark factor.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i am no expert on slates, and i believe they are very rare.

he certainly looks just like a mauve, which means he does have two dark factors.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My understanding was that two dark factors in a white-based bird meant "mauve", so I should have posted that in my original. Does anyone have a good picture of a "slate" to compare to my budgie? i understand it is rare, and I don't care whether he has it or not, I am just curious as to how to distinguish.

Per the tail-feather, it is slightly different with every molt and as he ages, but tends to be a black-navy blue. (See pictures, with and without a flash's influence)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
sorry teasha, he has violet cheek patches and a blue tail rather than blue or grey cheek patches and a black tail which grey birds have...;)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
sorry teasha, he has violet cheek patches and a blue tail rather than blue or grey cheek patches and a black tail which grey birds have...;)
:rolleyes: I'll never get this right, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.