Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just wondering if I have this bird's mutation correct.

Bird Pet supply Parrot Beak Yellow

Bird Yellow Parrot Beak Pet supply

Bird Eye Vertebrate Beak Parrot

Thanks for your help.
I've just looked at Advocado (Lindsey's bird) and now I'm not so sure if my bird is a light green. Maybe a greygreen? Well, I need your help!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Without bigger, clearer pics I will be too hard to say for sure.

G

·
A greygreen olive spangle split for recessive pied. The cheek patches and his tail feathers are telltail features. Gorgeous bird, an English I suppose !!

·
Registered
381 Posts
A greygreen olive spangle split for recessive pied. The cheek patches and his tail feathers are telltail features. Gorgeous bird, an English I suppose !!
interesting! i've been meaning to look up the significance of cheek patches. It would be awesome to be able to predict even those. especially because some birds have really nice contrasts with certain colors, like all yellow with violet cheek patches.

Gosh, the more I look at Lindsey's birds, the more melancholy i get about being too far away to get myself one of those handfed English dreambirds!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Without bigger, clearer pics I will be too hard to say for sure.
You know that you can get them bigger by clicking on the pic. I don't have a good camera so I can't do anytrhing about the clearness of the pics.
Even if you're not sure - what do you think. Give me all the possibilities.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know I can get bigger pics by clicking on them but it does all I get is more fuzziness. I really can't tell much without good pics. Check your settings you may not have the correct setting for what your trying to do.

Far as the bird goes it is definately a Dom Pied and I am sure I am seeing Spangle. I am sure I am seeing body colour half the intensity to what it should be. Two mutations will do this Dilute and Cinnamon. The bird does not have pink feet so this rules out Cinnamon. I am not sure if I am seeing grey markings though or not but if so this accounts for the loss of body colour and the bird maybe a Dilute Dom Pied Spangle Lt Green.

But again without really clear pics it is hard to be sure.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I know I can get bigger pics by clicking on them but it does all I get is more fuzziness. I really can't tell much without good pics. Check your settings you may not have the correct setting for what your trying to do.

Far as the bird goes it is definately a Dom Pied and I am sure I am seeing Spangle. I am sure I am seeing body colour half the intensity to what it should be. Two mutations will do this Dilute and Cinnamon. The bird does not have pink feet so this rules out Cinnamon. I am not sure if I am seeing grey markings though or not but if so this accounts for the loss of body colour and the bird maybe a Dilute Dom Pied Spangle Lt Green.

But again without really clear pics it is hard to be sure.
:goodpost: :iagree:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you. Yes it's an "English" and I'm quite impressed with him.
Also thanks to RIPbudgie

·
Registered
100 Posts
What colour are the cheek patches....Grey or Violet?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a mix between violet and white - the top half is violet and the bottom part white.
I really appreciate your willingness to help even when the pictures aren't good. What do you think of Jimm-V opinion that it is also split RP?

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's a mix between violet and white - the top half is violet and the bottom part white.
I really appreciate your willingness to help even when the pictures aren't good. What do you think of Jimm-V opinion that it is also split RP?
If the cheek patches are violet then the bird is not Grey Green as they have grey cheek patch.

To tell a bird is split by visually apprasial cannot be done with 100% accuracy. Spangle on most occasion will have a head spot.

Clearer pics will help a lot more.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hell, when I'm I going to remember this stuff. Thanks. I'll try later today to get better pics, but like I said i don't have a good camara.

·
Registered
105 Posts
He looks very similar to my Amigo who I was told was a grey green pied spangle. His cheek patches were violet but have now molted out to white, I don't know if he's finished yet? Your's looks to be getting the white patches as well. Amigo's looked half and half for a while, till they eventually turned all white.

Here is a few pics of him. Before and after ;)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I've look again at the cheeck patches and it looks more grey than violet after compairing it with a skyblue hen. Here's another picture, but I don't know if the quality is any better. the throat spots are also grey.
Bird Beak Parrot Pet supply Bird supply

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I've look again at the cheeck patches and it looks more grey than violet after compairing it with a skyblue hen. Here's another picture, but I don't know if the quality is any better. the throat spots are also grey.
View attachment 23683
It does not look violet. It looks grey or blue, so in both cases your bird is Grey Green.

A Grey Green will have grey, silver or blue cheek patches.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was going through this thread again and suddenly I realise that I'm not 100 % sure of this mutation. If I understand everything correct it is"
Dilute Dom Pied Spangle greygreen.
Please confirm or tell me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I know this is not supposed to happen...especially with such many good genetic experts around at TB!...maybe I'm just a slow-learner...or need to look at /consider more visual facets on each bird....but I'm confused with wing-markings....

...recalling Nev said the same as RIP on "body coloured (with bars)" head-markings/patch being evidence of "spangle", something different to a "totally clear-base body colour only-head patch" of the "dominant pied"...

(I agree with both aspects - for former, refer past-post of mine on "Black-cap" - given again below- that is clearly spangle, given he has "normal spangle" markings, as well as such "body coloured head-markings/patch")...
Petal Plant Feather Gesture Flower

BUT WHAT if there is no such "body-colour head-marking/patch"?...AND THE "NORMAL" SPANGLE WING MARKINGS ARE SO FAINT/ LIGHTLY-MARKED as in Dries' bird?....

...how can a person then tell a spangle apart from other genes (such as "clear-wing", or 'yellow-wing" as in the next example,...or maybe even "lace-wing" that has similarly "light-wing markings")?

Maybe the "cinnamon-dilution effects" (as RIP said), pink feet will give away the latter lace-wing...but some "yellow-wings" (aka "Guppy & Barnes" show-winning bird as shown below)...has "grey-ish" wing-markings very similar to the bird from Dries or other greywings?!
Bird Parrot Beak Parakeet Feather

# Reason for asking:
I have quite a few "suspect spangles" (that's what I... think they are / told to be)...but having such "light-spangle wing markings" I'm not always 100% certain?

Here's such a typical "spangle" bird...
Bird Parrot Pet supply Beak Organism

Here's another similarly "light-marked" spangle (in terms of wing-markings again)...she's just given me 3 out-of-3 babies, ALL being opaline-spangles...almost identical "triplets"...so she (Velvet) must be spangle, but she has so little - if not almost no "normal spangle markings"?
Bird Beak Parrot Feather Wing

..any further advice (gene guesses on "Sunshine" & "Velvet") from the experts?

Thanks so much!
jdk

·
Registered
281 Posts
PS-note to former post above...

...knowing that "clear-wing" as a suggestion for Dries' bird would be wrong - I understand that "clearwing" would have had a deep-almost normal body colour shade...

..my question on "light-marked spangles" remain..as is here also the case with Dries' bird!

Maybe it's also important to identify the bird's genes by elimination (apart from test-breeding that is)...rather than only by what is present visually?!

What is your ideas herein, given YOUR APPROACH in such a "spangle" case?

·
Registered
281 Posts
another PS-note.....having read this thread again...and again..

Let's agree it's a Dilute..I'm happy with that!

This said...could it be that it's this "dilute-gene" (affecting the "depth/intensity" of both "body colour"-and "wing-marking" shade, compared to greywing...that only "wash-out/dilute" the body colour) that causes the 'normal-spangle" wing-markings to also fade in such "light-spangles"?....

..your views?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.