Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello,

He is a dark (SF) green spangle.
Maybe some clearwing/greywing also is there but is not seen well.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I think he's a greywing dark green. His body color is diluted.

If he were a clearwing, his body color would be full-strength (bright).

I'm guessing he's less than 4 months old because he has all his baby bars.

·
Registered
36 Posts
First: Lime is a very young budgie (less than 5 months old) by the bar markings on the head.

Second: Lime is a SHE, not a he. In young budgies, the female cere is pale blue with white rings around the nostrils (see first photo)

Third: Lime is not a greywing. While it's a bit difficult to tell from the photo, it appears that her feet and legs are mostly pink. If she were a greywing, her feet and legs would be a mottled blue/grey color and her cheek patches would not be bright violet. Also, note that her flight feathers are clear but the primary wing feathers are not. This would indicate mostly a clearflight pied. The pics don't show the lower part of her breast and rump, but she probably has a lot of pied genetics.

One of the benefits of buying budgies from breeders is that they can tell you exactly the variety of their budgies. Commercially bred budgies are bred in large colonies and who knows what's what with them.

At any rate, she's a very pretty budgie. Enjoy her.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with most of the above, with some doubts about the sex.
Can we have a clearer shot of the face area please?

·
Registered
583 Posts
s/he does look like a female with the white rings around nostrils but the cere is also a purply blue colour so doesnt that mean a young male?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your help guys :)

I'll take a clear photo of Lime's cere in a while, he/she's sleeping :p

But I have noticed his/her temperament is different to that of my female budgie, Sam. Sam would bite at strangers but she never bit me. Lime is friendly to all people, whether he/she's seen them before or not.

Anyway, I'll get some photos :p

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I agree with Susan and Nev. Dark green greywing. Both of my greywing budgies have pinkish feet. And, from what I can see, Lime does not have the normal bright violet cheek patches of a clearwing. Her primary flights look grey to me, and just like my greywings. Maybe you could post a full picture from the side, and one from the back for us? Beautiful bird, btw. :)

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Was there ever a consensus of opinion on Lime's mutations?
I'm really selfishly really curious as whatever Lime is, my
Dandy is also, and I'd love to know.

Beautiful babies, aren't they :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.