Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I thought I'd never need help figuring out mutations I get hit with 2 I can't figure out

First is What I thought was a Creamino, She has red eyes, She looks like a Creamino (Yellow face type 2 Albino) Except after I got her home and started looking She HAS MARKINGS! Very very Light looks like Grey markings! now I know the only red eye birds with markings are Lace wing and Fallow BOTH have Brown (cinnamon) markings not grey so now i've been sitting here all confused trying to figure out what she is - I can't get a good clear shot of her because my camera washes her out no matter what I do.

When I enlarge this pic (like on windows picture viewer) I can see them better though

Second Is the new male I bought when i was looking at them I thought for sure he was a Yellow Face Grey (something I've been trying to get since I started breeding in 2007 and still haven't accomplished) got him home and realized he's not Grey he's a Dark blue Grey Body color wise he matches a Slate, So I went and Researched that some more (Did you know there is like NO information on them lol) Finally found a page that told me what I was looking for I wanted to know the cheek patch colors well According to that a Slate has Dull Deep Violet patches, My male has Dark navy blue patches, So then i went to mauve, Nothing matched that I've had mauve before he is a lot darker than Mauve

and like the bird above my camera has Lightened his color and washed him out he is a Deep dark blue If i had to put a actual color name to him I'd say He's Navy blue with a Grey undertone Navy Blue cheek patches and his tail in person Looks black

Before i bought him when i was just looking at the selection where I got them The lightening wasn't very well but This picture actually shows what I thought I was getting (I used paper over the flash to try to get it so it wouldn't Wash him out - lighten him up ) Well instead it made him look like the Yellow Face Grey I thought I was buying

I know the mutation of the next 2 just figured I'd show them too Since I did mention I bought 4 lol

A Albino Female and then my other Female is a Violet Pied Grey wing- Just not sure WHICH PIED yet

Back View of the Violet Pied Grey wing

Front View of her and the "Creamino"

all 3 females

Oh and the "creamino" is still Young so she looks a little hard on the eyes I'm guessing if she's lucky she maybe 4 months old but Most likely more like 2 months old if that. They did not come from the BEST environment But they're in a great one now and in Quarantine!

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,826 Posts
I missed you too. Hi atv.

Not sure of the colours though. The creamino may be some kind of dilute. When I was still breeding pet type I used to get all sorts of funny colours like that.

I really popped in to say Hi.

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Sometimes albinos can have faint markings on their wings. Otherwise I can't help you much sorry :eek:

Also, please don't take pictures of your birds with flash, it can hurt their eyes and also if done excessivley can lead to infertility plus other things :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I missed youuuuuuuuuuuuu :hug:
She's gorgeous! I hope you're able to figure out what she is.
I missed you too. Hi atv.

Not sure of the colours though. The creamino may be some kind of dilute. When I was still breeding pet type I used to get all sorts of funny colours like that.

I really popped in to say Hi.
Thank you both I missed you both as well :)

Sometimes albinos can have faint markings on their wings. Otherwise I can't help you much sorry :eek:

Also, please don't take pictures of your birds with flash, it can hurt their eyes and also if done excessivley can lead to infertility plus other things :)
not here to get in a argument about flash- I don't put it in their face, i've been doing this long enough to know how to properly take pictures with flash and birds

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Hi & welcome back.
I haven't got much time right now so I'll have a look at your birds later

·
Registered
821 Posts
How fantastic! Your little Creamino looks just like my little Digby who is four months old. S/he (not sure whether is male or female yet) has beautiful yellow head feathers, a lovely yellow "beard", black eyes and grey edged tail feathers. His body feathers are white with tinges of lemon. His cere is smooth and beige and he is altogether gorgeous.

As more of an expert than me do you have any ideas as to whether I have a he or a she?:)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
not here to get in a argument about flash- I don't put it in their face, i've been doing this long enough to know how to properly take pictures with flash and birds
:eek: In I come with the dumb questions... maybe ya'll will want to PM me so the post doesn't go off topic with it. Or start a new thread about it in the health section or something. Is there a right way to photograph birds with flash vs. a wrong way? What does flash in the eyes have to do with fertility? Can it hurt the eyes permanently, or only temporarily? I wasn't aware of this.

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
Sorry, I don't know about the mutations, but those birds are beautiful!

It's great to hear from you too! You've been missed.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How fantastic! Your little Creamino looks just like my little Digby who is four months old. S/he (not sure whether is male or female yet) has beautiful yellow head feathers, a lovely yellow "beard", black eyes and grey edged tail feathers. His body feathers are white with tinges of lemon. His cere is smooth and beige and he is altogether gorgeous.

As more of an expert than me do you have any ideas as to whether I have a he or a she?:)
if he/she doesn't have red eyes its not a creamino a creamino is a Yellow face type 2 Albino - they have red eyes

I'd need to see a picture to be exactly sure on yours and if the cere is any form of a brown color it would be a girl :)

:eek: In I come with the dumb questions... maybe ya'll will want to PM me so the post doesn't go off topic with it. Or start a new thread about it in the health section or something. Is there a right way to photograph birds with flash vs. a wrong way? What does flash in the eyes have to do with fertility? Can it hurt the eyes permanently, or only temporarily? I wasn't aware of this.
Gotta say this was the 1st time I ever heard of flash causing Infertility - Trust me I take hundreds of pics a week and I do NOT lack infertile birds here LOL i have babies coming out of my ears :)

but yes if you stick a camera in a birds face and snap pics all day long the flash will bother them just like it does us. I've never known any Permanent damage done by it I'm sure its possible but Never saw any record of such a thing

I have birds I've had for going on 4 years have had them since 4 months old so out of my entire flock They have defiantly gotten their picture taken A LOT over 3 1/2 yrs - There is nothing what so ever wrong with them They're still producing babies, they see just fine etc.

I think its more of something some one read some where once (most likely a non reliable source) and took it to heart

I see things similar on line all the time It's just people making websites thinking they know Everything about the bird the site is about, and i just sit here and Roll my eyes with all the WRONG information they have! but then unsuspecting people read it and think "well its got to be right I found it online on a site all about Budgies" - that doesn't make the information correct :D

When I take pics I use flash very seldom can i not use flash If I don't use flash the pictures come out Blurry, dark and crappy (like the one above LOL) But With my light colored birds or ones that are pure white or more white than anything else The flash Washes them out(try getting a good pic of an albino ringneck It's very hard! LOL) so I use a piece of paper (or a paper towel tissue etc. what ever is handy) and put it partially in front of the flash to Bounce the flash off the bird this makes the picture a bit dark (specially if I cover it too much and I have made my flash on my camera smoke LOL) but when I can get it done right it shows the birds color Perfectly =)

I've tried for years to get natural light pics - Doesn't work well for me They don't come out well they come out like i used no flash - blurry, crappy quality So I choose Flash just don't go shoving it up in their faces- Which that has happened but it was an accident - same time i took the pic one of my birds flew towards the camera and the flash got her in the face but she was perfectly fine!

Sorry, I don't know about the mutations, but those birds are beautiful!

It's great to hear from you too! You've been missed.
Thanks I've missed being around. But I'm not going to make it a habit like i used to =)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

i think the first is a creamino, albinos often have faint markings and sometimes they can be quite obvious.

the second i think is a mauve but it is hard to tell with those photos. it seems the most likely as the cheek patches aren't right for a grey and slates are pretty rare.

the pied looks liek a dom pied to me, the pied patches down low on the body are a sign.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
hi there,

i think the first is a creamino, albinos often have faint markings and sometimes they can be quite obvious.

the second i think is a mauve but it is hard to tell with those photos. it seems the most likely as the cheek patches aren't right for a grey and slates are pretty rare.

the pied looks liek a dom pied to me, the pied patches down low on the body are a sign.
Toni has said just what I was going to say. The only other possibility for the second bird would be violet grey. The colour of the cheek patches show that it is not just grey but I think that the most likely shade is mauve

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Thank you for answering. :) Makes much sense.

Back to gawking at the pretty birdies and waiting with much suspense to find out what they are. :D

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
That definitely is not a dumb question. I'm sure others wondered the same thing. You got a good answer. :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Toni has said just what I was going to say. The only other possibility for the second bird would be violet grey. The colour of the cheek patches show that it is not just grey but I think that the most likely shade is mauve
Ok thanks. when i breed him I'm planning on putting him to a Yellow Face type 2 Opaline Sky blue Clear Flight pied
Actually this one here

Would Breeding him to her make it more positive that's he Mauve?

I've had Mauve's before and none even looked like him I bought him because when I was looking at him he looked Dark Grey but when I got him home he now looks more like Navy blue with a Grey undertone I wish my camera didn't wash him out so bad but maybe he has a dark factor and that's why he's so dark? and if so that would explain why he didn't look like the other Mauve's I've had :)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
to be a mauve he has to have two dark factors, that is what makes him mauve......

skyblue has two non-dark genes, cobalt has one darka nd one non-dark, and mauve has two dark genes.

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
No, Not a dumb question :D I gave you a visitor message, as I do not want to provoke anyone on here.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.