Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Member of the Month April 2014
3,537 Posts
Aww, I've never seen them this small and they're very cute...but where's Rudolph?:D

·
Member of the Month June 2015
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How Cuuute!!! :) Those are Sika Deer aka Japanese Spotted Deer. They're a small species. I'm not sure if those are juveniles though. I guess they figured real Reindeer (Carabou) were too big?? Maybe they couldn't get any and had to settle for the Sika's lol! Where was that at?
Oh I just assumed they were babies - I'm sure the reindeer would have been too big alight :) they were so cute either way. They were in the shopping centre right near my house - I've seen a petting zoo set up there before (at Easter) but is completely unique. Of course I had to pet one :D

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,807 Posts
Actually Julie I think they are Fallow deer. Fallow deer were first introduced into Australia in the early 1800's. I am pretty sure there are no Sika deer in Australia but there are some in New Zealand. A couple of friends of mine breed them. There are 6 types of deer found in Australia (all introduced since European settlement) they are Fallow, Red, Canadian Elk, Javan Rusa, Sambar and Chital. It is a strong possibility that they were bred by one of my friends who is also a bird breeder. He supplies young Fallows to zoo's and the like and many are hand raised so they are good around humans and can be handled. They are the most common deer found in Australia. Wild herds are found in all states except Western Australia and the Northern Territory. They do look very similar to the Sika though as does the Chital.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.