Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! I haven't been here in ages!

Lorenza on my forum has had dominant pied opaline budgies which were born with legs that were too short. Their legs and feet are so small that they don't fit on regular perches.

Could this be related to the opaline mutation?

All the rest of the babies that are not opaline are quite fine.

Mom and Dad

The kids

None of the babies which are not opaline show any problem so there is no point in showin them.

Any ideas? Thank you, Martine.

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
The mutation would have nothing to do with the defect as it sounds like a genetic defect - maybe crossed blood lines ;)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
It wouldn't be because of the mutation. It could be a genetic defect in the birds or it could be caused by inbreeding

·
Born2Bfree, bred2Bcaptive
2,887 Posts
That's interesting about their short legs.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Well thanks. For inbreeding, I think that it is very unlikely Lorenza would have done that.
A lot of people inbreed birds accidentally. If the ancestry of the birds is unknown they could easily be closely related. Even if the birds were obtained from different places there is still a chance that they could be related because birds are often shipped to other areas. If something like this happens it is safest not to let the pair breed together again

If this condition is caused by a recessive gene then both parents must have the gene

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.