Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happened so quickly. I went to take the garbage out this morning, and my 5 year old son followed me out. The door auto closes, but today it didn't close fast enough. It happened SO fast, that I didn't even see the bird fly out with him until we came back inside and I saw that he wasn't in his cage. I didn't even know that his door was open.

It's been 6 hours so far, and nothing. I've walked the block (and a few around me) blasting Disco (he ALWAYS comes to Disco) and budgie sounds, with no luck at all.

His flight cage is on our front lawn, his travel / outdoor cage is on our backyard patio, and he has been reported as missing all over facebook as well as the SPCA and (as close to we have to an avian vet at the) local pet store.

I don't know what else to do. I woke up with a headache, I'm overtired (didn't sleep well because of the headache), and I just feel sick to my stomach over this.

What scares me the worst is that we live in a cul-de-sac right on the edge of a greenbelt. There is NOTHING but trees to the east of us, and a lot of larger birds (mostly crows, some hawks) in our area as well.

I'm scared out of my mind, but I'm not giving up. We're about headed out for another walk... For those of you who have lost your favourite little feathered buddy (and got them back safely), what were your experiences?

I think right now I just need to hear some happy reunion stories. I'm a MESS.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh my, I can't imagine what you are going through :(

I hope that your boy comes back to you safe and sound. I have read stories on here or people being reunited with their lost birds.

Me and my flock of 4, that is me Stella (my Boxer) Buddy the Budgie and Merlin the Lovebird are sending positive thoughts to you

Barry

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A friend (who happens to be an ornithologist) is on her way over. She thinks that he might be hiding in a tree close to home. I'm not sure if I believe her, but she has more knowledge than most of us combined. I just came home for some water, and then I'm heading back out with her again.

I'm a MESS, you guys. I can't stop crying. He's like a little blue Disco. He chats me up in the morning (and most of the day), and he's my husband's cuddle buddy at night. He has easily over 50 phrases, and the little ****** has such a bold personality that you just can't help but love him. He grooms my husbands stubble and then gets ****y when my husband tries to stop him (it hurts a bit). His response is usually something like "Sorry! You're so cute. Come here!", and then tries to groom again. A second stop ALWAYS ends in a little budgie tantrum. Just a spunky little "bluebird" (he tells me he's a bluebird all the time).

When you own a flighted bird, you can take every precaution imaginable, but an accident can happen SO fast. What got me is how he has NEVER flown to a door or a window before (we have screens), so I think he must have been trying to land on my son's shoulder and then caught that blast of outdoor breeze. And off he went.

Like I said, it happened so fast that I didn't even know he was missing until I came back inside.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. :(

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Sounds like you are already doing everything you should. Posting flyer's around the area, gas station's, stores, etc. would be good. We have had several folk's get their bird's back recently, we are on a roll. We had one member lose her tiel and get him back a couple day's later in a situation very similar to your's as far as landscape. Your bird is used to people and will seek them out looking for you. It is warm out, lot of food, lot of water, stay positive. Prayers for your little guys safe return...:hug:

·
Registered
107 Posts
As mentioned before post A LOT of flyers, they go a long way! I read online about how the first day of their escape its full of excitement and adrenaline, the second day its not as exciting and they start getting hungry and on the third day they will become more hungry and could try to find a human for food! That's what my escaped budgie did!

My little one and I were reunited after 6 days so keep your head up and stay positive! :hug: Try to stay well rested so you can look more efficiently look for your little one!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HE'S HOME!!!

I posted ALL over facebook this morning, and this afternoon (around 1 or 2?) a lady commented that it wouldn't help me now, but she swore she heard a budgie in her tree last night around 8pm while she was mowing her lawn. She used to have budgies so she recognized the sound. It DID help though because it gave me an idea of where he might be.

So I rushed over there and drove around REALLY slowly. I even stopped my car right outside her house (where the tree was) and didn't hear anything. So I drove home and waited for a friend. We went to get posters made and were on our way to put them up when she sent me a facebook message asking if I could come back because she hears it again.

As we're rushing over, another message comes through. "IT'S HIM! WHAT DO I DO? WHAT CAN I SAY?? HURRY!!" lol

It took about an hour. He flew to me twice, but flew away before I had a chance to grab him. Then he parked himself in a tree for close to an hour. And for at least half of that time he talked and talked. I think when I showed up he relaxed, and then proceeded to make snoring noises and repeatedly said "I'm a sleeeeeeepy bird". LOL I bet he was!!

The third time he flew down he landed on my shoulder and I pinned his tail with my jaw so I could grab his body. He struggled a little and squawked once. If I try to hold him at home he puts up a FIGHT, so he must have known that we were going home. I had a friend drop off his cage while he was snoring (literally!!), so it was easy from that point on.

But now what? I have already contacted a few vets (all closed for tonight), but aside from possible nastiness he could have picked up from the wild birds (parasites?) he seems fine. He's a bit fluffy, but he keeps tucking his head, and he's seems interested in food (he's picking, but doesn't seem all that hungry) and he goes back and forth from eating, napping, and playing with his toys.

He's happy to be home, for sure.

And because I know that no one here will curse me for this, here was his first poop. LOL Doesn't look good to me. Very green. Infection?

Attachments

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Yaaaaaaaaaay........See, it's all good, we are on a roll here...:D
So glad you got him back. Keep him warm and quiet for a couple day's. Use ACV in his water, and keep an eye on his droppings and overall apppearance.Truly thrilled for you...
:hug:

Edit to add: Not trying to discourage you from seeing a vet. He is under stress, and who knows what he has eaten probably some green's, certainly not his normal diet, so his droppings may look better in the next day or so...

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
What wonderful news ! I am so happy for you all:2thumbs::party2: He will be tired and a little stressed from his adventure, this will make him want to sleep a lot, I guess he wants to do what he normally does but tiredness overcomes him. Get some electrolytes and soak some millet in it for him. His poop will be different as his eating pattern has been interrupted and when budgies are stressed it also changes colour or consistency.
Keep him warm and reassure him he is home and all is well!. I am going to change you thread heading to a more acceptable ****le if you don't mind:D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone!!! I am SO happy to have him home. We had someone here earlier today. The kids were playing (loudly), the dog was barking, and she looks at me and says "I can't believe how quiet it feels in here".

Loki isn't a loud bird, by any means. He doesn't scream and squawk much at all, but he talks (or trills) constantly. You NOTICE when he's quiet (or not here).

·
Member of the Month June 2015
2,510 Posts
Oh I'm just SOOOOOOO delighted with such a wonderful outcome for both of you this is such wonderful news :D I'm amazed at the amount of success stories lately with finding lost birds it's fantastic. I'm realy realy happy for you and I know your little explorer is happy to be safe at home again too. How adorably cute of him to tell you he was sleepy :) poor little thing :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.