Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was so cool to see this outside of my house!!! Every time I visit my parents in ohio, I missed my birds dearly, and always wondered if they missed me, or didn't even know I was gone. Turns out, they missed me all the time according to my hubby. And when I get back, and walk in the house talking to Lonny, They hear me and begin the incessant flock calling that I love so very much!!!

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,908 Posts
It is so true that birds don't forget you. I hand raised my Charlie with her brother Sammy for someone else. Charlie left me for her home when she was 16 weeks old, she went to a household of mainly males, only female the mother and they were going through a very bitter divorce. 3 years later I was visiting a bird shop that I supplied with my lorikeet mix and there was this beautiful Sulfur Crested Cockatoo in a cage near the front door. The owner was busy so I went outside to talk to the Cockatoo. She put her head down for me to scratch and then lifted her wing for a tickle. The owner came out and said 'how come she hasn't bitten you, she doesn't like women'. I laughed it off and said 'Oh she just knows I love birds'. Nearly a year later the owner and I were sitting having a drink after the shop closed and we were talking about Charlie. The description of the man and boy who brought her to the bird shop for sale was the same as the one for the father and son who I had raised Charlie for. I bought her and took her home that night. After 3 years and leaving me as a very young Cockatoo, Charlie had never forgotten the mother who had raised her. That was 11 years ago and my baby has been with me ever since. Every day she shows me just how much she loves me with a welcoming Hello every morning and kisses every day.

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,908 Posts
She is quite amazing Despina. She has been involved in many promotions for our parrot club and as an aid to the care of parrots demonstrations. Everybody just loves her. I show her and she has won Best Cockatoo at many parrot shows. She has been featured in newspaper articles promoting our local town Festival and also been used to pick the winner of our Federal Election one year. She successfully selected who would be elected Prime Minister of the country.

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Thank's for sharing that Kristen. Thank you also for your Charlie story Kate, hard to deny how special our bird friends are...:)

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, that's so cool! How old do cockatoos usually live, average I mean? I think 15yrs is still pretty young for them isn't it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.