Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ludwig wasn't able to fly since I got him.
He was a very shy and weak birdie. After treating his stuffy nose and underweight body we tackled the wing. But after a few visits and he swell going away his wing still stays droopy and he can't raise it while stretching both wings upward. He can stretch it fine on it's own to the side (when they stretch a leg and open the wing) but the afterward raising both wings closed stretching doesn't work.

I assume he had a damaged humerus that wasn't treated when it needed treatment. Ludwig is a happy bird. Climbs around the rope setup and gets across the room like that. Does the typical male tweeting/singing half the day. Has make out sessions with his queen Mila. eats properly too.

The vet said it's irreparable and his wing will stay like this. So he's unable to fly, ever. I read around and it seems these tiny birds are to small for operations of the kind.

NOW TO MY QUESTION. I did read hat it's possible that the wing might get back in position after bandaging it and leaving it like that for some weeks. That's how these injuries are treated I believe. Now I wonder if it's just an immediate thing you can do or if i might work now?

Any other suggestions on what I could do with my baby would be appreciated as well. Here are some photos of Ludwig and his right wing.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Hi Lisa, I have not heard of that kind of treatment, maybe some of our really experienced folk's can give some insight. He is a very beautiful bird, and to me it is not noticeable at all...:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Jonah!

I hope someone has an idea what I could try.

Here are some pictures where you can see it more visibly.

I wonder if I should clip the wing so he doesn't have to "carry" all the weight. He can' fly like this anyway...

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
Hi Lisa, to my way of thinking if the vet has positively said he will not fly ,and his wing is permanently damaged then I would not try to alter it. Having it set in the position it is seems to not give him any problems, if you accidently move or misalign his wing it could result in pain and discomfort for him.
I really can not offer any thoughts regarding clipping the wing, if he were my budgie I wouldn't clip it simply for balance and making him feel different.
He is a stunning budgie who obviously is a well adjusted flock member who is looked after very well.:budgie:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.