Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
lutino's are born red eyed yellow feather and albino's are born with no colour on them (white). the only colour on a albino budgie is the cere (which is often white in very yound females) the beak and the feet.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I agree with Nev and Anj on this one.
I have an albino and she is just as healthy and strong as any other of my budgies.. she is not "weaker" in any way. The only difference is her lack of pigmentation and that's as far as it goes.

·
Born2Bfree, bred2Bcaptive
2,887 Posts
Lindsay, that is very interesting what you said about rats with red eyes. Thanks for sharing it with us.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I don't know how much this could relate to budgies, but I do know for a fact that red-eye rats have poorer eye sight than black eyed rats. I've owned many pet rats in the past years (much more than budgies) and the red-eyed rats always show signs of poor eye sight. They are much more hesitate to approach objects/people, they remain still and sway back and forth a long time, trying to figure out what something is, and they seem to startle easier.
-shrugs- It's interesting. :)
Are you referring to white mice which have red eyes naturally ? I have never seen black rats have red eyes.
If you have red-eyed rats, were there being cross-bred with white mice ?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Again with the ino debate lol.

Let me try add to nev and anj and put it to rest.

Is the ino gene lethal?
No. Find evidence to prove me wrong. Not hearsay, evidence.

Does ino x ino produce small weak chicks? No. No. No. Have you seen the size of the monster ino's in england? Good lord they are almost twice the size of my normals.

Do inos have bad eyesight?
Yes. Let me explain why - they lose the pigment, and eyesight works based on the principle of the black lining of the inner eye catching the light and focusing it in a way that can be translated into electrical signals and read by the brain as an image. A lack of black pigment results in pink or red inner lining in the eye, which reflects or scatters the light, meaning yes, inos do have worse sight, but this does not have a debilitating effect - the birds can eat, fly, breed, and recognise eachother perfectly. That is not to say it is a good thing, but if you are born without eyesight - do you know anything different? They grow and adapt to the eyesight they are born with.

All the other arguments about lethal genes, small weak chicks etc are almost certainly down to ino's that have been paired together until the gene pool is so reduced, that lethal and small genes have been doubled up. It has nothing to do with the ino gene, it is the poor GENE POOL responsible as these maladies (death, small size, birth defects) are identical across all mutations and species breed without due care and monitering of the gene pool.

Look at show dogs and the terrible genetic faults that are rampant there, and the reduction of the gene pool. Almost all pugs are thought to be so closely related they might as well all be cousins.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are you referring to white mice which have red eyes naturally ? I have never seen black rats have red eyes.
If you have red-eyed rats, were there being cross-bred with white mice ?
No mice, "fancy" pet rats. Rats come in MANY (about 30+) different color, body, and pattern variations. Like budgies, really. :)
Usually the red-eyed rats are albino, fawn, siamese, or himilayan in color. These color varieties can also come in black-eyes, but are prodominantly red-eyed. We even have black-eyed white rats (or mice, too) where all color has been eliminated but the black eyes.
Black rats are always black eyed because black is a very dominant color. The red-eye is a recessive trait, as is the coloration they are attached to, like Ino budgie mutations. However, if black rats are split for a certain gene, they can produce offspring with red eyes. :) Genetics are genetics, no mater the species, I think.

For rats, the red-eyed offspring, as long as they are bred from unrelated lines, are just as healthy as black-eyed rats. However, yes, they do seem to have poorer vision.

Hope that clarified some things. :cool:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.