Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi :)) i recently got a lovely new female budgie- i think shes lutino but im a little unsure. She also has red-ish tinted eyes.

·
Administrator
55,933 Posts
If her eyes are reddish then she is definitely a lutino.
However, it appears there are missing feathers around the eye -- is that the case?
Would you post a close up picture of her eye area please?

You need to have this budgie in quarantine away from your two males.
Additionally, you should house her separately after quarantine.

Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds

Do not put anything in her cage that could be construed as a nesting site.
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If her eyes are reddish then she is definitely a lutino.
However, it appears there are missing feathers around the eye -- is that the case?
Would you post a close up picture of her eye area please?

You need to have this budgie in quarantine away from your two males.
Additionally, you should house her separately after quarantine.

Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.
Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not show up for over two weeks.
Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

Quarantine - Is it Really that Important?
Quarantine Your Birds

Do not put anything in her cage that could be construed as a nesting site.
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

A little hard to get a proper picture of her eye as shes very scared of me, this is the best i can do. im already currently keeping her separate from the males, is there anything else i need to know?

·
Administrator
55,933 Posts
I don't like the look of the missing feathers around her eye. Is she beginning a molt by any chance?

I'd recommend you take her into an Avian Vet for a well-birdie checkup.
Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.
Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

Avian Association of Veterinarians

Make sure she has natural wood perches of varying sizes and diameters to help prevent pressure sores.
Pressure Sores

The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:
Essentials for a Great Cage

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have other wood perches in her cage, i ran out so i put in a plastic one and thats the one shes chosen to sit on. I’ve only had her for about two hours so i dont really know if shes starting a molt. do you think it could be anything to do with all the stress of moving? She was only put in the pet shop last night and then moved again to my home.

·
Administrator
55,933 Posts
The reason for the loss of feathers around the eye can not be determined by seeing the pictures.
You'll need to consult with an Avian Vet to ensure there isn't an issue that needs to be addressed.

For example, IF she has scaly mites, she will need to be treated with ivermetin spot-on treatment or Scatt spot-on treatment.
Never use a mite spray on budgies -- it can easily get into the eyes and nares. Additionally, when the bird preens, it ingests the substance which is detrimental to the digestive tract.

Make sure she is getting a nutritious diet.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts