Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Human Jungle-gym
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I just recently (well, 2 months ago) got two new budgies. Zeke is a Lutino and India is an Albino, but other than that, I have no idea about them. I'm asking owners of these mutations, or anyone that might have a clue! :) I would prefer no guesses please :)

Is there anything interesting I should know?
And do their eyes ring like most other mutations? I know that Albino's eyes do, since India has little pink lines already, but Zeke is still full red. Will his change as well?

I doubt that there is, but is there any way to tell if they are related or not? They both have that silver band and they are roughly the same size, which is why I think that they are babies because they are much much smaller than the rest of the flock. Next to Odin, poor Zeke looks like a midget! :giggle:

Thanks in advance! :)

Photos!

Zeke:

India:

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Albinos & lutinos can mask most other mutations so when they are used for breeding there could be some surprises. They will develop iris rings unless they are masking recessive pied. You can't tell whether they are related or not by looking at them but they both look about 3 or 4 months old and as they have the same type of leg band there is a strong likelihood that they are siblings. The leg bands don't look like club ones but but if they have numbers on them it might give a clue to their relationship

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
There are a few online sites that you can search for breeders using the Code on the leg bands - but not all breeders have went to these sites and registered so you may not be able to find who they are

but since you are in the U.S. usually all breeders who do not use Club/Society bands get their bands from L&M Bird Leg band company - So you can call them and see if they can look up the information and see if they can contact the breeder and give their information to you so you can contact them and ask them

usually if they come from the same breeder and the birds ID numbers are close together They're usually related

i do have some that are just one digit different (up or down) that are NOT related- just happened the one baby was born and ready to be banded in between the time to band 2 siblings

here's the site for L&M leg bands
http://home.earthlink.net/~lmbird/lm_bird_leader_site/redirect.html

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
When did you get new budgies!? I definitely missed that!
I don't know if this is mutation specific but my albino does seem to be smaller than the rest, she's always been on the smaller side but her chicks are huge :D

She has iris rings too ;)

·
Human Jungle-gym
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Albinos & lutinos can mask most other mutations so when they are used for breeding there could be some surprises. They will develop iris rings unless they are masking recessive pied. You can't tell whether they are related or not by looking at them but they both look about 3 or 4 months old and as they have the same type of leg band there is a strong likelihood that they are siblings. The leg bands don't look like club ones but but if they have numbers on them it might give a clue to their relationship
Well, either way, I don't plan on breeding the two. I really don't want to chance it. Thanks so much Nev!
There are a few online sites that you can search for breeders using the Code on the leg bands - but not all breeders have went to these sites and registered so you may not be able to find who they are

but since you are in the U.S. usually all breeders who do not use Club/Society bands get their bands from L&M Bird Leg band company - So you can call them and see if they can look up the information and see if they can contact the breeder and give their information to you so you can contact them and ask them

usually if they come from the same breeder and the birds ID numbers are close together They're usually related

i do have some that are just one digit different (up or down) that are NOT related- just happened the one baby was born and ready to be banded in between the time to band 2 siblings

here's the site for L&M leg bands
http://home.earthlink.net/~lmbird/lm_bird_leader_site/redirect.html
Thanks! I'll have a poke around the site. They are still really shy of hands, so I wont be chacking their bands for a long time.
When did you get new budgies!? I definitely missed that!
I don't know if this is mutation specific but my albino does seem to be smaller than the rest, she's always been on the smaller side but her chicks are huge :D

She has iris rings too ;)
:giggle: Well, if I paired India with Odin, I bet their babies would be gigantic! :)
My albino, Mitsy has iris rings :)
Shes not too small.. actually almost bigger than Sammy!
Well, India already has the rings, I was just curious about Zeke. We shall see!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.