Talk Budgies Forums banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
Luxie (“LOOX-ee”), F, hatched 9/7/2021
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Some little bird doesn’t understand why I spend all my time staring at these strange pieces of paper with all these bits of black on them—and I don’t even once chew the edges.
Nail Recipe Ingredient Font Feather

She’s being a “yellow potato” in admiration of some forum-favorite green potatoes 🙃

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
She only chews the edges if she can find them, and even then she’s only an occasional chewer of paper. When the paper is lying flat, she seems more interested in staring at it—maybe she’s trying to ”forage” and find the seeds in all those little marks? That or chase my pen around…

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
Food Dishware Ingredient Recipe Spice

I started a modest little effort to sprout Luxie’s seeds over the past week. I followed our sticky here and

1.) got a bag of Hagen’s seed
2.) Looked through my pantry and found Wild Rice and Green Lentils
3.) decided I didn‘t have to have everything listed in the sticky to get started
4.) got one of my little tea infusers as per a recent forum post mentioning using a tea ball for sprouting
5.) I found a little cup to set aside with it
6.) In the morning I put about 2/3-3/4 tsp Hagen’s seed + 6-7 grains of wild rice and 6-7 lentils into the strainer
7.) I rinse and then let soak throughout the day (minimum 8-12 hours).
8.) Before I go to bed, I drain/rinse the seeds and then empty them onto a plate. I let that sit overnight to dry.
9.) The next morning I mix the dry sprouted seeds in with some pellets, some mash, and 3/4 of a couple other seed blends that have things in them that shouldn’t be sprouted
10.) …and that’s the day’s seeds! While Luxie is eating breakfast, I start the process over again at step 6.

…Luxie eats these right away (and does seem willing to eat them wet as seen in the pictures above, though I read that not all budgies will), so I’ve not seen the tiny little sprout “bud” while doing this yet. I can probably slowly add some other grains as I go, but this is the best I can do right now. Hopefully it’s helping her be healthy.

·
Super Moderator
About that…
1,275 Posts
Peas! I have a bag of split peas in the pantry right now, it didn’t occur to me to use those. This also reminds me to try peas in the fresh veggie dish, too!
👍🏻
Give the lower half of a red bell pepper a go, with the seeds! Instant foraging bowl.
remove the stem and you’re good to go.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
👍🏻
Give the lower half of a red bell pepper a go, with the seeds! Instant foraging bowl.
remove the stem and you’re good to go.
I’ve been including chopped/diced/sliced bell pepper in Luxie’s veggies for over a month now, and she seems uninterested, but I remember someone here saying that budiges can have preferences on veggie “form.” I’ll give it a try!

81 - 91 of 91 Posts