Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Member of the Month Sept 2014
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you will have seen the photo's of the tatting that Lyn has kindly shared with us recently, this is just one example of her amazing creations: -

Well I am so pleased to tell you that Lyn has created yet another masterpiece especially for my Mum: -

As an avid reader my Mum is going to love this beautiful bookmark, of course massive thanks to Lyn for the skill and time it took to create this work of art, (just look at the detail) it will shortly be winging it's way to my Mum, you're amazing Lyn.Thank you ! :)

·
Administrator
60,602 Posts
Pete,

I'm sure your Mum is going to adore the bookmark Lyn so kindly made for her.
It is positively exquisite (as is all the tatting in the pictures I've seen that Lyn has done!)

I must admit :eek: I had to look up the difference between tatting and crocheting this morning.

My mother used to crochet and I was curious as to the similarities and differences between the two.
It appears tatting is much more labor intensive and precise!

This link offers what I think is a very good explanation of the two. :)
Tatting vs. Crochet | LDS Lacemaker

Thanks for sharing the picture of your Mum's lovely gift with us. :wave:

·
Member of the Month June 2014
10,323 Posts
Pete I am only to happy to make the tatted cross for your mother. My tatting gives me much joy to do and also to share my work with others...
I just know that Petes mother is going to be very surprised when she receives it in the mail as Pete wants to surprise her mum when it comes...

Pete I'll have to get a photo of your mum with the tatting when she receives it..

Tatting is different to crocheting. Tatting is form with knots and loops and is made with a shuttle... If you make a mistake with crocheting you can undo it with tatting you can't undo a mistake you have to cut it off and start all over again.... It takes a really long time to make a doily sometimes it takes me a year to do or two years all depends n the size of the doily etc.. The elderly people use to do tatting. Also tatting is a dying art as not many people do it now....

I haven't done any tatting for over a year... But Pete inspired me to take it up again so I thank Pete for bringing me to do my tatting again. I didn't feel like doing my tatting after I lost my father like all of my hobbies but now as I said Pete got me to do it again.... I am now back doing my slideshows playing piano keyboard plus my tatting...

I am starting a doily today or I may even do another cross for a friend on the form....

I am so happy to make someone else happy it really made me feel really good.... I can't wait till your mum receives the cross Pete she is going to be thrilled... Please let me know when she receives it. The tatted cross will be in the mail today....

·
Member of the Month Sept 2014
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Lyn, my Mum has been told to expect a package from Australia but she doesn't know what it is, I collect a few stamps as a hobby so I think she believes they are just some stamps for me, I often use her address for my deliveries if I'm not expecting to be in, but with you putting my Mum's name on the envelope she will open it and get a lovely surprise, You will know as soon as she receives it as I will be posting a photo in this thread, once again massive thanks Lyn :)

·
10,323 Posts
Thank you Lyn, my Mum has been told to expect a package from Australia but she doesn't know what it is, I collect a few stamps as a hobby so I think she believes they are just some stamps for me, I often use her address for my deliveries if I'm not expecting to be in, but with you putting my Mum's name on the envelope she will open it and get a lovely surprise, You will know as soon as she receives it as I will be posting a photo in this thread, once again massive thanks Lyn :)
Your Welcome Pete I think I have to put it in between some cardboard to keep the tatting flat and put it in a little box and send it to you.. Or a parcel bubble bag with cardboard in the packet. Hey Pete I collect Stamps to I have about 5 books full of stamps and I also collect Shells as well....

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,841 Posts
Wow, more of Lyn's beautiful work! I love seeing your creations Lyn :), they are some truly spectacular pieces of work. Thank you for sharing a little about tatting... sounds like you really have to concentrate or else a year's worth of work can be ruined if you make a mistake, since you said you can't undo it :eek:!

Pete, I can't wait to hear when your mom receives and opens her beautiful gift!

·
2014 MEMBER OF THE YEAR
4,238 Posts
VERY well done Lyn!!! My mum, my beloved grandmother and my aunts are all tatting! They tried to teach me with no success! All I know is that huge effort is required, so much patience and I had to count all the time :p
This cross is amazing and I haven't seen a design like this so far! really unique!
And Pete, what an awesome gift for your mother! I am sure she'll be thrilled! :)

·
10,323 Posts
Thank you for the update Lyn, I'm so excited because I can't wait to see my Mum's face, it will be such a nice surprise for her, once again thank you Lyn, you're an angel, :)
Your Welcome. Pete. I put the tatted cross in between thin cardboard so it wouldn't get squashed in the parcel pack... You never guess heat I found on the Internet that I am now going to tat...

I found a budgerigar tatting pattern and a small bird. I am going to try to make the Budgerigar in tatting we will see how it goes.. I thought it was so cool finding this pattern I didn't think there was such a pattern In Tatting...

·
Member of the Month April 2014
3,540 Posts
Oh wow, such exquisite craftmenship and I didn't know you're into this, Lyn! Would also love to see your budgie in tatting soon!:clap::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.