Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am just wondering about breeding "rainbows".
This is my female clearwing Cleo.

Ideally, I would need to have a beauty like this male

And Cleo should be a YF2 for rainbows. But she is an olive, and I am
also wondering about how to get a rainbow from her. As she will only
have green bubs, If I breed her with a blue series male of some sort, would
her male offspring be split for blue? Then I would have to breed her with
her son? Ive had breeders tell me things like this before, but im wondering
what outcomes will come from Cleo, and if she should be bred with any
of the males I have to produce rainbows. She is of good size :) To young
to breed right now though :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Female Cleo

My males

Split for blue

Violet pied

Dom Pied, with clearflights, Mauve, normal looking wings, split opaline.

]

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Rainbows are very confusing for me (like most things :D) I have been given some birds as rainbows but have learned since that it can only be a rainbow if opaline and I think clear wing.

As you know from other posts Tegan that mutations quite go over my head, but as with Trellie, just wanted to say your fids are looking more gorgeous than ever :love:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

with your current birds it would take a couple of breeding seasons at least. you need to get yf, opaline, clearflight and blue in there somehow.

putting her with the yf male would be a start, then you could put her with her son to get blues and cleaflights, but it would be hit and miss as to whether you got yf in there too or if you get blue, yf and clearflight in the same chick. and you will still be missing opaline.

even putting her with a rainbow would still take two generations at least - the first generation would be green (unless she is split blue) so you would not know which chicks have yf.

pairing chicks with their parents would not be likely to cause any problems as long as the parents are not related, but it is always a risk you have to weigh up.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I'm sure Toni means clearwing not clearflight.

If you could buy another clearwing it would save the risk of breeding mother to son and save a year. You would also be better to get a yellow face opaline male. To breed a rainbow with the males you have could take a very long time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.