Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :)

I have three budgies in a rather large cage. There are 2 females (one around 1 year old and the other is around 3) and one male budgie (who is 3 too)
The two three year old budgies (Petra and Bennie) I've noticed have started to mate (Sitting on each other, preening each other, regurgitating into each others mouths). After this started the male Bennie never let Petra do pretty much anything. He never lets her near the food or treat bowls and only feeds her through regurgitation. I have a playground box that is attached to the cage and any time Petra goes near it Bennie chases her and gives her nips. Any toys Petra plays with Bennie will chase her away from.

As for the other 1 year old budgie, Bennie doesn't keep her away from anything but the playground box.

is there anything that I can do that can un-encourage this possessive behavior? :budgie:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your suggestion kcladyz,
but I don't think the tension is going in between the uneven amount of budgies.
Bennie is being to controlling over Petra and this afternoon it worsened.
Petra got fed up and when Bennie pushed her away from something again she attacked him they rolled around shrieking and biting each other till I broke them up. Strangely afterward Petra cooed Bennie into feeding her and preened each other before they fought again. :S
Whenever I try and separate them in separate cages they freak out and panic but they fight when there together :(
I have no idea what to do!

·
Registered
37,563 Posts
Having two females and one male is not a good combination, when the younger budgie hen matures and comes into condition it could cause more tension.
Try taking everything out of he cage and rearranging it, or if all else fails you might have to allow separate playtime for them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes kcladyz and Pretty boy is very right about this subject! :)
I have 2 budgies and wanted to add 1 more budgie in time, but after a well done research I now understand that uneven budgies in a small flock is a no no! Especially with 2 females and only one boy ;). Why its bad with uneven budgies (in general)
1. One of the budgies will always be left out. This birds are highly social flock animals. If one starts to preen its self the others will do the same, they like to synchronize since they are flock animals. If one of the pair starts to preen each other the third one will be left out. And this applies on all the other activities as well. Like feeding each other, playing etc. So even numbers is required.

2. One of the birds will become a target to hack on and bully on!

(If you had more then 5-6 birds it wouldn't matter this much with even numbers btw but 3 is unbalanced)

I don't know how often Bennie and Petra is arguing? but it certainly seems like she is being hacked on? There is definitely some frustration in your group.

So I strongly suggest you to get an other bird to the group in order to create a balanced and happy n content group of budgies ^^ . (but you have to have enough space too in the cage of course, small spaces creates frustrated birds!)

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Male

Be sure ther are at least 2 and possibly 3 of every important toy, food, swing,
Preferably a large swing to hold multiple birds. Always have more than one station for each bird This includes cuttle bone , manu rose, Kabob, millet spray,
long food dish for moist food, treat bars, basic food feeders, etc.

We use gravity feeders with planit feet on a shallow tray to catch seed when they dig in the feeders. as well as special treat cups so the male will be so tempted that he will stop trying to cover all of the ports like a bossy male humming bird. As already stated divisions of three leaves some body out, but in larger groups say 10 and above you will often see three budgies playing together comfortably both hens and cocks. B:plessings, Jo Ann

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
Male

Another possible solution is to change up the home cage dominance by cleaning and rearrange everything in the cage and if possible even where the cage is placed. first remove the birds to separate holding cages for a few days. then hold the dominant bird back and let the other bird in first to the reset cage and allow a few days if possible before the little rascal gets to come play. The isolation is not appreciated by budgies so there is even more incentive to be good.Still be sure there are plenty of duplicate stations. What are the ages of the birds. Some times younger birds are more likely to pull feathers just because they are young and frisky and The older birds can be grumpy and unwilling to adjust without some gentle persuasion. You may at some point try leaving all cage doors open and watch to see which cage is preferred by the birds. Wiki/AnnMarie may have some suggestions as well as other TB members who have successfully met this challenge. If all else fails over time go to separate cages with out of cage play time.

Blessings, Jo Ann:p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all who suggested things :)
I rearranged all the toys and took away all the ones that Bennie was fiercely defensive of. After a few hours when they were used to it they started grooming each other and getting along as if nothing had ever happened :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.