Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this little scared yesterday :budgie: wondering on Shacklewell Lane, London pavement next to some studios near the Shacklewell Arms. I’m keeping it safe for the time being but would love to reunite it with his owner. It is very scare but looks healthy. And it flies he hasn’t got her wings clipped. Also the RSPCA have the case on record.

He has a number on her right foot so if you’re the owner you probably know that number.

Ismini

Attachments

·
Member of the Month Dec 2014
1,089 Posts
Bless her little heart, and bless you for picking her up off the pavement and taking her home. I'll bet she was relieved to be safe in someone's care again.
I hope you find her owner, but you may just have a little budgie of your own now. Welcome to Talk Budgies and please keep us posted and ask any questions you might have regarding her care while she is your little house guest.

P.S. From the color of her cere in that photo, she looks like a little girl to me. (It looks light brown, rather than deep, royal blue as in a male). But the experts here will let you know for sure, if you'd like.

Reactions: Jonah

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you so much. He ( i think it's he as he has blue on his beak) is slightly friendly but still unhappy with his new surroundings. I'm trying to make him as comfy as I can.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have you told the local animal shelters and local vets? I'd probably start there. I'm not sure how far budgies can get when loose in the wild but he is VERY lucky to have made it in London of all places! The things he must have seen, poor little fella. Thank goodness you found him.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Thank you for taking this little one in....:)

Reactions: animziggy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might keep him if I can't re-unite him with his owner. He reminds me of one I had when I was a teenager. (yeeeeearrrrs ago)

There's a thing in England the RSPCA but it is a charity mainly against animal cruelty, so they were willing to take him in, but it sounded like I was doing them a favour for keeping him; also also they would take him to an Aviary outside London and only keep him there for a week. They have my case on record but they didn't even asked for the number on his ring.

So far I have put it on, except here:

FOUND Budgerigar Parrot / Bird - Hackney, Greater London, United Kingdom, UK - Lost & Found Ref# F16611

Found Bird Budgie London Dalston Greater London E8 2FF

Bird found in London, Greater London, United Kingdom, E8 | Animal Search UK

Lost, Stolen and Found Parrots

Also I'm speaking with this person from the London and Souteast Budgerigar Society, he has his ring number and might be able to locate the owner.

Finally I m printing out some posters and will put them in the area I found him and at a vet's that kind of near by.

Ismini

·
Registered
149 Posts
It sounds like you are doing a great job at trying to find his owners. It would be lovely of you to rehome him if he isn't found. I'd worry that the RSPCA wouldn't give him the one to one love and interaction you would give him! Also they tend to only rehome them as aviary birds (which I think is always a bit unfair to birds who have had human companions). Keep us posted!

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
His ring number will identify the breeder, but not necessarily his owner, if he was purchased from the breeder by a pet shop or private party.

But is wonderful you are trying to locate his owner, who's probably missing him.

Did you search the "Lost budgie" ads?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The budgerigar society couldn't find his owner, and I have had no luck with the online posts yet. He's still super scared...sigh....:budgie::(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It sounds like you are doing a great job at trying to find his owners. It would be lovely of you to rehome him if he isn't found. I'd worry that the RSPCA wouldn't give him the one to one love and interaction you would give him! Also they tend to only rehome them as aviary birds (which I think is always a bit unfair to birds who have had human companions). Keep us posted!
Since you're based in the UK, any tips advice etc on how to proceed? The budgerigar society isn't helping any more.

I also understand it is unfair for him, to be in a aviary but he doesn't like me yet, especially that I have to handle him to treat his mites.....

·
Member of the Month May 2015
2,226 Posts
Hi animziggy,

Maybe he likes you in the future... I think he just needs to get used to his new surroundings. And we don't know what happened to him before you found him. I wouldn't give up on that little guy.:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Since you're based in the UK, any tips advice etc on how to proceed? The budgerigar society isn't helping any more.

I also understand it is unfair for him, to be in a aviary but he doesn't like me yet, especially that I have to handle him to treat his mites.....
Unfortunately i dont think a little lost budgie is a high priority To other people (obviously excluding us budgie lovers here who care a lot!). The budgie association i imagine is more interested in breeders/breeding etc than finding homes for lost budgies (which is a shame).

The only other thing i could suggest is gumtree in your local areas and vets. But be careful people dont just try to scam a free budgie off you! Are you going to keep him if he doesnt find his owner? If not the rspca would probably be the best option. At least he can join a flock and will be looked after. He would warm up to you in time though im sure and would be very grateful of your care :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RSPCA offered to take him but said they would only keep him for a week in a aviary, just didn't sound right.... gumtree yeah not too sure.... I put at usual places, here, parrot alert, budgerigar society, animals lost and found UK and a couple of posters in the area.

I'm thinking about keeping him not sure yet...as when i work i m never at home and it will be unfair for him, I remember a budgie I had when I was ateenager always loved to be with me... decisions decisions.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
PHP:
RSPCA offered to take him but said they would only keep him for a week in a aviary, just didn't sound right.... gumtree yeah not too sure.... I put at usual places, here, parrot alert, budgerigar society, animals lost and found UK and a couple of posters in the area.

I'm thinking about keeping him not sure yet...as when i work i m never at home and it will be unfair for him, I remember a budgie I had when I was ateenager always loved to be with me... decisions decisions.
Once he's used to you you could always get a second budgie to keep each other company if you aren't home as often as you'd like

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts

He shouldn't interact with any other birds until his mites are gone.

After he's mite-free, perhaps you'd like to adopt a girlfriend for him. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.