Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

I just bought another budgie today. He was in really poor condition so I had to take him. He was left in a dirty cage with a lot of mess and dirt stuck into his feathers. I've cleaned most of it off but he won't allow me to take the rest of. Firstly, is he/she going to be alright? Even after his owner not taking care of him he still loves to be with people. He's not fully tame but loves attention, his beak seems really damaged and he still has some dirt stuck around his eyes and I'm not sure how to get it out? Also, how quickly could I nurse him or her back to health? I tried to call the local vets but they said they can't do anything until at least mid week next week. Also, is he a girl or boy? He's got white rings around his nostrils and a tinge of blue on his cere but I read up it could either be a male or a out of breeding season female?

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi. Good job rescuing this budgie. Next I know that it would be best to take it to an Avian vet. They will be your best resource for healing your new bird.

As far as gender, can you post a picture with a clear shot of its cere (the area around the nostrils)? The picture should be in good and natural lighting with no flash and ideally straight on (or as close as you can to straight on as I know my birds are wiggly). That is the only way (other than dna testing) to sex a budgie.

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,793 Posts
Hi, it's always exciting to get a new addition to the flock :). As far as being "healthy" or not, taking this bird to an avian vet for a check is the best thing to do. It's good practice any time we get a new bird, and especially when they look a bit rough and have unknown history. He could be healthy but just dirty ;). I hope that's the case. You can dampen a cotton pad with lukewarm water to try to clean around the face, but don't scrub. Any dirtiness that you can't get off will either come off naturally as the bird cleans itself, or will be replaced with new feathers at the next molt.

For sexing help, please upload some pics. Close and clear enough, and in good natural lighting is best to show accurate cere color.

If you aren's sure about uploading pics to this forum http://talkbudgies.com/how-guides/175818-how-post-pictures-photobucket.html Photobucket is an easy way. Hope to see your new little one soon!

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

I'm unable to see your budgie's photo.

You could offer a shallow dish of water to see if your budgie takes a bath and cleans his/her feathers.

About the damaged beak and the "dirt" you see on the eye area, maybe what you are seeing is in fact mites. Given the fact this is a rescue and you are aware of the budgie's poor condition, it would really be best to try and book an appointment with an avian vet as soon as possible.
As far as recovery goes, this will mainly depend on your budgie's immune system and current status in terms of general health.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm going to guess boy (again waiting to see what the experts say).

But looking at the pictures I would get him to the vet asap. He looks in very poor condition. Poor thing. Good job rescuing.

Also like previously stated make sure you quarantine :)

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Hi guys!

Thanks for quick response, I'll attach some photos right away!
From the pictures, you budgie looks very much like a female to me. She is showing the typical colours of a female out of breeding condition.

My initial guess was right, your budgie has a severe case of scaly face mites and this will certainly be better addressed with the avian vet where your budgie will be prescribed with the right dosage of Ivermectin medication for her specific case.
Most likely she will need multiple treatments in order to fully eradicate the mites.
After each mite treatment, you will need to thoroughly wash and disinfect the whole, and accessories, including perches, swings, toys, food/water containers, etc. This is done in order to prevent the mites from reinfesting your budgie.

Is this budgie currently separated and in quarantine from the rest of your flock?
If not, then you will have to separate her and also treat the rest of your flock for the mites because they are contagious.
The cage or aviary will also need to be washed and disinfected.

I'm wishing your budgie a steady and full recovery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. I thought there was something wrong with him/her and I thought she was a female. No worries. I'll have her checked out ASAP. As the vets are busy till mid week next week, is there anything I could do? And yes, I have quarantined her and kept her separate for the mean time. I thought she needed to be separate. Again, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Oh, poor thing, well done on rescuing him/her. On my screen the cere looks totally blue except for some parts damaged by the mites, so I think it could be a male. It will be clear what sex it is once the healing has occurred. Good luck!

·
Administrator
55,116 Posts
Thank you for rescuing this little girl and for giving her a safe and loving home. Karma is winging its way to you. :hug:

As aluz stated, she does have a bad case of scaly mites.

Since you are unable to get into the vet until mid-week next week, you can go ahead and give her one treatment using Scatt (ivermectin) which is administered one drop to the back of her neck (right between the wings). Assuming you want to start the treatment right away rather than waiting several days until she can be seen by the vet.
She will still need to have a full exam to ensure there are no other underlying health issues which need to be treated.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vetafarm-S...t_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NG3P1WSFTW6NRE5Q4ZTJ

Be sure to tell the vet what you used as treatment and what date it was administered. As her case of mites is quite advanced, she will probably need a second treatment in two weeks time, but the Avian Vet can confirm that for you when you take her in for her exam.

Check her legs and feet as she may have mites there as well.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for your little one and please let us know how the Avian Vet visit goes. :hug:

·
Super Moderator
17,946 Posts
I'm so glad you were able to rescue this little one! S/he will surely get better very soon now that you're able to give him/her the care needed to recover. :yellow face 2:

Please keep us posted on this beautiful little bird and I hope to hear updates soon :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Awwww :(
What a beautiful birdie! I remember rescuing a budgie with SFM, not as bad as this one but still noticeable!
Ivermectin had him singing again in a couple weeks! His beak never fully healed and was always a little deformed looking but he was the sweetest little budgie I could have ever wanted!
Here's hoping you can get him/her fully recovered and singing away happy as a budgie with a millet spray asap!

·
Member of the Month August 2015
1,633 Posts
So glad your little budgie was rescued by you! I'm not an expert on gender; in fact, I rescued a little budgie with face mites. The cere was whitish, so I thought I had a female. When the vet scraped the mites from that area, I found I had a little male.. LOL!!
It sounds like you are a very caring owner. Keep us posted on the little one's recovery and adjustment to your flock (when it's time!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.