Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, I will update shortly with a picture, but was anxious to jump on here for help first. As soon as they open I will be contacting an avian vet.

My mom has an English budgie who she said had poop stuck to his vent. So, I just arrived for the holiday and check him and it's not just a little poop. His entire bottom is covered in hard poop. I have quickly researched what possible steps I can take to make him more comfortable before I'm able to get to the avian vet (it's after 9pm). So, I'm assuming it's hardened poop and not something else. Again, I'll send pictures as soon as possible. Just very worried and haven't seen this before. It's very hard. Anyways, if you have experienced this and have any tips for his comfort overnight I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Edit: It was a mass of poop (I worried at first it was something else). Going to take to a vet. If you have read this post I'll share 2 pics as I said I would.
Hand Gesture Finger Nail Eyelash

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
That looks nasty, do you know how long the poop has been piling up? It is important to get it removed, if there is too much of it it is possible that it could lead to blocking the passage of additional droppings. Have you been able to remove it by wetting it? Sometimes when they are sleeping, a dropping may get stuck to the feathers around the vent and block the ability of additional droppings to fall away as they are produced, so they get piled up and hardened, it can also be caused for other reasons, please take a look at this Pasting of the Vent

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cody. I did look at the pasting vent link before I addressed Winnie. I ended up holding him in some water and it came off. With it came off one feather that must have been stuck. He had a bit of blood so I applied styptic. My mom said she noticed it about a week ago. He was my bird but about a month ago we brought 4 of our birds to my moms in another state. She’s older and not used to handling them (which I’m teaching her) so she feels comfortable doing this again should the need arise. Anyways he looks more comfortable understandably. This morning I soaked him a bit more to remove more (small bits of poop). He didn't look very comfortable so I didn't do it for long. I got some more off but there's still a persistent piece. Is it okay to use a bit of Olive oil to try to soften it up rather than another water bum dip? I plan to take him to an avian vet Friday as this has never occurred before so I presume he’s sick.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The remaining is stuck to the feathers not the skin. The vet is closed until tomorrow when we'll go. We were away for Thanksgiving but back and he again has a small build up of poop. His diet hasn't changed but he obviously is having issues. His poops are runnier than usual. So, as it was just a day I tried to remove it with a paper towel but it had already hardened. I gave his bum another short gentle wash and removed it. I expect the vet with give him an antibiotic. Then I will bring him back with me to my home (in another state) and administer the medicine and watch him. As he's a fairly young budgie (just shy of a year), I'm hoping he pulls through this. After the bum wash he was eating fine and didn't look uncomfortable fyi. So, we'll see what the vet says. Happy Holidays Cody!

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
Is it an avian vet or one that has experience with birds? Make sure that the vet does a fecal gram stain test, that will show if there is a bacterial infection, a fungal issue or parasitic, without that test you cannot get a definitive diagnosis.
Happy Holidays to you as well, please keep us updated on his progress.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! It's an avian vet but unfortunately not open until tomorrow. I guess I could have gone to a regular vet but wanted to wait for the avian vet. Thanks for the advice on the fecal gram stain test.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, the avian vet did a thorough exam and I requested the fecal stain test. However, due to his young age and his general good health she didn't think it was necessary. She surmised that his change in poop was likely due to his change in home and although in a large cage not having free flight for about four weeks. So, we're aiming to have him free flying more in my parents home. Otherwise, I'll bring him home with me in two weeks where he gets almost 12 hours free flying. Thanks for your help Cody!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.