Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one female 5 year old budgie, and she gets tons of attention and out of cage time. For a while now, she's been sticking her tail way up in the air when we give her attention, which I believe is mating behavior, which we try to discourage by ignoring it and stop giving attention when she does it, because I don't want her having eggs or anything. I don't think its anything we're doing to trigger it, because we don't really pet her or anything, but she does this while we're talking to her or holding her on our finger etc. It's happening a lot more often lately, like multiple times a day, and in addition to that she's always gotten a bit of hyperkeratosis/thickening on her cere which I need to pick off maybe twice a year. Which I've heard can be from a hormonal or breeding season thing. So my question is, does it sound like she may have a hormonal condition causing both of these things throughout her life, and if anyone has experienced this, could there be a dietary adjustment you may know of that could help calm her hormones? She was on a mostly seed diet, but I'm working hard now to switch to majority pellets and more fresh veg. She also takes nekton vitamin powder in her water so I'm wondering maybe she's getting too much of some vitamin or not enough which could trigger mating behavior.

I've been researching and I actually may already be too late, she might have an egg in her. She has the "brooding patch" like missing feathers near her vent which seems kind of round/firm almost like there's an egg near there, and her poop has been large/watery/less frequent the last few days. Does it make sense that she would still be lifting her tail like this today and looking like she has an egg inside today? And should I do anything differently for her in preparation for an egg or afterwards if there is an egg laid to keep her healthy and prevent it from happening again? I'm trying to find answers online and on old posts here but having a little trouble. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,792 Posts
It sounds to me like she may be having trouble passing an egg, do you see her straining at all? If she is egg bound that is an emergency situation and you must get her to an avian vet or a vet that has experience treating birds, please read this
Do you have a vet or need help finding one?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts