Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my spangle babies is a mauve. It is also possible that it can be a mauve violet, but how can one identify it? I don't have much knowledge of the colour mauve. If someone can tell me how to distiguish between mauve and mauve with violet I will be happy. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
well if that is one of the parents , in the pic i would say its mauve but what color is its mate , then you will have a better chance of knowing , i had what i thought were two mauve chicks , but one stayed mauve the other darkened more violet . :)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the bird in my avatar isn't one of the parents - it is a grey BTW. The parents are a YF(2) cobalt spangle (****) and the hen is an Opaline violet.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Good luck Dries wish i could help im still learning my mutations getting better tho hehe.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A bird can be mauve violet but it is often difficult to see the violet.
So the best way - and maybe the only way - is to breed him/her to a bird that doesn't have the violet factor. If there's a violet baby, he/she is carrying the violet gene. Correct?

Good luck Dries wish i could help im still learning my mutations getting better tho hehe.
Thanks. Yes, there's so much to learn, but I'm sure we will get there!

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I've noticed with Mauve's w/ Violet factor you can tell sometimes it takes the light to hit just right but it'll give off a Violet iridescent color Vs. the normal Blueish grey color of Mauve's w/out Violet

Also when I breed a budgie w/violet factor to a budgie w/out Violet Factor usually every single one of the babies has the violet factor -Violet factor is Semi Dominant.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Your welcome

and thanks =) Just popped in for a few while taking a break from cleaning :) been busy around here with my son showing his Doves and my own birds plus hand feeding 2 Greys for a local Breeder

·
Lil' Birdy Girl
3,790 Posts
I'm by no means particularly great at determining mutation, and I absolutely cannot predict baby mutations, so I'm very sorry I'm of no help. BUT I would reallly love to see some pictures of the little one! :eek:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Oh yea welcome bck atvchick long time no hear. While we on subject of breeding violets sorry for posting on your post dries. my boy zohan in photo one he is a violet gene carrier his babies violet in photo two and lilly photo three what colour hen would u guys recomend putting with him to get violet. Atm he is paired with a lutino who is lillys mum but violets mum was a colbat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm by no means particularly great at determining mutation, and I absolutely cannot predict baby mutations, so I'm very sorry I'm of no help. BUT I would reallly love to see some pictures of the little one! :eek:
You can go to this thread to see the babies: http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=79962

Oh yea welcome bck atvchick long time no hear. While we on subject of breeding violets sorry for posting on your post dries. my boy zohan in photo one he is a violet gene carrier his babies violet in photo two and lilly photo three what colour hen would u guys recomend putting with him to get violet. Atm he is paired with a lutino who is lillys mum but violets mum was a colbat.
I don't mind. Are you sure that the **** is the violet carrier? You are getting violets already from him, but to get df violets you hve to put him with a violet hen. BTW I have 3 violets that looks like your Lilly - absolute stunners.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Yes littl lilly is his latest chick she is only 7weeks old so that how i found out he was the violet gene carrier. Bummer looks like i will have to get me a violet hen shame lilly was his bummer.Could have put them in for breeding if she was from another cockbird. Oh well i dont need more birds tho im down a male wish was a hen i was down other wise get a violet hen mind u Cleo has violet in her altho she is in breeding cage atm with another cockbird but is has been ages since she has been in there and still no eggs u think i should swap cocks? i feel mean if i swaping tho.LOL

Attachments

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
the male in the 2nd pic is a Double Factor Violet Cobalt I had one a few years ago :) Both his parents were Violet Yellow Face type 2 He had the normal White face but he was a DF Violet cobalt in person he looked Identical to a Purple Crayola Crayon :D

no matter what color hen you put him with you will get single Factor Violets

if you put him with a Violet hen - you'll get Single and Double Factor violets May not all be cobalt unless the hen is too but I have both Sky Violets and Cobalt Violets - I love them both but the only "true" violet is the Cobalt Violet

the 1st pic is of a sky blue recessive pied
the 3rd pic is a Violet Opaline

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This means that Zohan must be skyblue with violet RP. If the first baby is a DF violetthen his mother must also be a violet.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I got rid of the mum sold her as a pet as she was not a good mumma friends of mine r breeders she told me to sell her as she will most prob keep on not looking after them so i sold her. How do u know if they are a violet gene carrier i wonder???

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I got rid of the mum sold her as a pet as she was not a good mumma friends of mine r breeders she told me to sell her as she will most prob keep on not looking after them so i sold her. How do u know if they are a violet gene carrier i wonder???
it's not so much a "Gene Carrier"

Violet is a Color adding Factor so either they have it or they don't have - can't be split to it either.

usually you can see a violet tinge on the bird around the rump, legs and sometimes up around the neck

Here's one of My Violet Pieds- The pics don't always come out making her look violet but in person she is purple (darker than my font)

This is her Mom She is a Sky Violet Yellow Face 1 Dominant Pied You can see the violet Patch on her neck.

Her dad has no Violet Factor
He is a Golden Face Double Factor Dominant Pied Cobalt Blue

Her Grandpa (moms dad)
He is a Cobalt Violet Dominant pied
He is on the left

Her Grandma (moms mom)- Was a Yellow Face Violet (also the mom to the DF Violet I mentioned I had a few years ago)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lovely birds. Thanks for posting the pics so that we can see the influence of violet.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Yea lovley birds what colour did u put with what to get bandits colouring

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.