Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
In a recent thread here, there was a brief discussion about adding handles to a MCage flight cage. I'm posting this to continue brainstorming ideas to help make transporting this cage easier. Here's the MCage. The cage isn't heavy at all, just awkward.

My first thought was to tie some rope through a couple carabiners or simply run a short metal tube (square or round) through carabiners. The carabiners would then snap over the horizontal bars in the center along the side panels, and hold the cage with the widest part (front/back) against yourself. Basic ones are pretty strong, but I found these fancy two-sided kind:
Light Product Tire Sports equipment Automotive tire

I'm concerned that either a normal or fancy carabiner would damage the cage by putting pressure along the wire - the bottom half wire panel is welded to the central bar from the bottom in three places. These are tiny little spot welds, and can probably be snapped with some pliers -- see the red circle. If I could find a way to distribute the pressure, I think this would work. Same issue with @FaeryBee 's suggestion in the other thread with short rope perches.. the screw thread would need to be under the bar, and would put even more pressure on that wire panel piece, although, some is distributed I suppose through the washers.

Maybe it's not an issue with the carabiner? See green circle, the carabiner would be pulling from the bottom and out/up, per the purple arrow.
Mesh Automotive tire Line Fence Wood

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that is an idea squawksauce - I'm assuming the rope perches attach the same way as wood perches, where there's a threaded rod, two washers, and a wing nut. If that's the case, the threaded rod will go under that beam, but in doing so, it'll pinch the wire frame, and I'm concerned enough pressure will cause those small weld joints to eventually break. I wonder if I could sand them down and put in some jb weld from the inside, to wrap around the wire and beam? I think jb weld is non toxic once cured? I can draw up a cross-section picture if this doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had a cage exactly like that, I get what you mean about the awkwardness. It's hard to grab properly and you gotta crab walk with it, it's not heavy, just difficult to comfortably hold. How often are you transporting it, and what for? If you've got someone to help carry it, it's way easier, you both just take one side each.

I'd take my birds out when I'd do the monthly cage clean. I'd stick em on a perch somewhere in the room, then awkwardly take the cage out to the bathroom to clean it. It *****, so goodluck with your handhold brainstorming.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The original idea was daily, downstairs then back upstairs, until I can get him finger tame and find an easy way to transfer him to another cage. After that, then every few months when I take him to family while I travel for work. I live alone, the cage is not heavy for me to move around.. just.. yeah, crabwalk hahaha :D The reason for up/down is because upstairs is more interesting during the day and warmer at night, and downstairs I have the bathroom where it's mostly safe to give him out of cage time, and I can also take him outside for a little monitored sunshine. I can take him outside upstairs as well, but it's just more complicated to keep an eye on him (we've got a small hawk in the area).

I am persona-non-grata with him at hte moment due to 2x daily meds, so all the above is just me trying to work out the plan once he's off meds and I can try to regain his trust. It also might help others who get this cage or a similar one.

·
Banned
2 Posts
That's quite a big cage to carry up and down the stairs. I think I would be afraid I'd loose my balance carrying it on stairs.

Just a totally different thought: Maybe you could train him to get into a smaller cage in which you can carry him downstairs for his out of cage time?

It probably would not be too difficult to train using clicker / target training. Since that is pretty hands off (besides giving the treat), it might be a good tool to build back his trust as well.

I have no experience clicker training a bird myself (so maybe I underestimate it), but I have once clicker trained a cat to push different buttons (one for play, one for cuddle, one for snacks). Step one is to condition the clicker. Step two is to touch the target. Step three is to follow the target. So training to move to another location is pretty basic clickertraining.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be great. All of that would have to start after the treatment is over because it really messes with our trust. Once done, it will take time to teach him to get into the smaller cage. It may take a few days, it may take months.. so between that time, is it okay to leave him without flight time just in the big cage? My cage is a bit more spartan than spicygull's setup for his linnie hahah :p

·
Banned
2 Posts
That would be great. All of that would have to start after the treatment is over because it really messes with our trust. Once done, it will take time to teach him to get into the smaller cage. It may take a few days, it may take months.. so between that time, is it okay to leave him without flight time just in the big cage? My cage is a bit more spartan than spicygull's setup for his linnie hahah :p
You are the only one who can know that, it's your bird. It's also your stairs, so only you can know if it can be done safely. So if you think it is safe, go for it.

I think any cage is more spartan than Hemingway's. That bird is going to be such a brat when he is a teenager, I'm afraid he will need to go to boarding school. Fortunately I know an excellent school :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
I believe that using the carabiners by putting them around both the side wires as well as the middle support bar (your green circle and my yellow one) would not put too much stress on the cage.

I used to carry large dog crates up the stairs each evening and down the stairs each morning by myself.
I believe as long as you go slowly and are careful you could easily navigate the stairway holding the Mcage by yourself making use of the carabiners.
Definitely a better option that the rope perch idea I first offered!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay! There's no attachment showing yellow circle. Inferring from your post, it sounds like it would be to the right of the red circle, so it has support from the front side as well. That's fantastic idea, thank you! And, given that carabiners can be cheap, the more I use, the less pressure there is per point. I wouldn't leave the cheap ones attached because they are likely toxic, I think zinc plated.

·
Administrator
57,871 Posts
Exactly.
(Sorry I didn’t attach the picture and I already deleted it from my computer. LOL)
Hopefully, it will work out well for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I move my 4 birds between two houses often and use 2" wide webbing straps to encircle the cage, one in each direction. This distributes the weight and gives me multiple places to grab. Stairs are a challenge.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I move my 4 birds between two houses often and use 2" wide webbing straps to encircle the cage, one in each direction. This distributes the weight and gives me multiple places to grab. Stairs are a challenge.
This is interesting, are you running the straps under the cage, or simple around the width horizontally somewhere between bottom and middle?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts