Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
2K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  Lwright100 
#1 ·

I have like the sweetest Birds…Meet King which is on top…I got him June 8 one week after Tinkerbell and I brought him home sat him in another cage cage by her…Tinkerbell was like nope I wanna see she was going back and forth in her cage which was the small one so I let her out right and she flew over trying to get him out…she was literally like come on. So I finally got him out and Tinkerbell flew in her cage and he followed her…I was praying like please don’t fight! I closed the cage and they been friends ever since and today in June 16, 2021..I am so proud of them!!! 💜💜

See less See more
#3 ·
They look adorable together. New birds should be quarantined from the others for 30 days to make sure there is no illness that could be passed on to current birds so should you decide to get additional birds keep that in mind. Would love to see more of them as they settle in .

#6 ·
#15 ·
Out of curiosity, why do you want King to be a male so badly? Many pet-store employees are unable to tell the gender of budgies. LOL
Two females can get along great together and bond very closely. I had two that were inseparable.

One more different picture of King's cere please? The top portion of the cere around the nares looks very white on my computer screen.
From the pictures you've posted (as well as the attachments of the same pictures), I really think "he" is a female. ;) Of course, I could be wrong.

#16 ·
Out of curiosity, why do you want King to be a male so badly? Many pet-store employees are unable to tell the gender of budgies. LOL
Two females can get along great together and bond very closely. I had two that were inseparable.

One more different picture of King's cere please? The top portion of the cere around the nares looks very white on my computer screen.
From the pictures you've posted (as well as the attachments of the same pictures), I really think "he" is a female. ;) Of course, I could be wrong.

Ok King is now on the bed!! Around his nose it like a purple-blue in the natural..My be my iPhone they don’t take gud pictures but the next picture is the color of his nose…
this is my mouse pad on my desk his nose loois like the flower at the bottom where is light purple and blue

#19 ·
I really want to know … maybe I’ll take them to a veterinarian…They keep flying away when I get close to them with my phone!! Now there are chirping I hope they ain’t irritated..😩 I don’t want them to be!! Being a new bird Mommie is not fun when they don’t act like dogs I don’t know!!

Size wise… Tinkerbell is small in body size though

They do talk right once they get used to you

#20 ·
We have staff members who are excellent at determining genders and I've contacted them so they will see your thread when they are next on-line.
They will be able to tell you for certain what gender King is. Many veterinarians (unless they are Avian Veterinarians) are unable to determine a budgie's gender.
Body size doesn't make a difference with regard to your budgies' gender.

Some budgies will talk and others will not. It depends on the bird.
I had one that was talking quite a lot until he was introduced to his current flockmates. Now he has reverted to only "budgie talk". LOL

#23 ·
Hi there and welcome to the forums~

King is a male budgie from the photos you've posted :) Since as FaeryBee mentioned above, you've indicated that his cere is very purple in real life, I do believe he's a male.

You've gotten great advice and resources above from FaeryBee. Since you have a mixed-gender pair, please be sure to discourage breeding! It's actually pretty easy to do, so no worries there.

Please be sure to read through all the links and other information provided to ensure you're up to date on the best of budgie care practices! If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

We hope to see you around, and please keep us posted on how things go!

Cheers 👋

#24 ·
Well, don't worry - even if you do everything you can do discourage breeding and they still mate, you can just throw away any eggs that appear. They do NOT have any babies in them until many days of constant incubation, and there won't be anything in them before that period of time. It would be the same as throwing away a chicken egg from the grocery store, so you're not harming any babies. Besides, this isn't very common after taking the right precautions, so I think you'll be good ;)

#26 ·
I love this picture, Tinkerbell is posing for the camera and King is like "OK I'll sit here just for a second while you take the picture, then I'm going about my own business." LOL It is the little bit of a whitish color that seems to be around King's nares that makes the gender questionable. Let's see what our mutation experts have to say.

#27 ·
I can't wait one say he is a male, it's lavender a little bluish purple...I tried to get close but they get irritated I believe...Tinkerbell be fussing when I come with the phone up close they be lookin side ways..like here she comes again..lol but lets see...

#29 ·

I have Youtude on.. These others Budgies are talkin and so is Tinkerbell and King!! I pulled them in here with me this morning after I heard them chirping like come get us…They sleep in there room and 830 am I bring in my room with me every day and let the do at it all day till
9:00pm then it’s bedtime 🥰💜💜

#31 ·
StarlingWings has already let you know that King is a male so you are all with regard to their genders.

If you'd like, you may create a "King and Tinkerbell Ongoing Picture Thread" in the Pictures section of the forum to share pictures of them.

Additionally, if there are spring loaded doors on the sides of your cage (it looks like a Prevue Hendryx F040 which has them) then you need to secure them shut for safety if you have not already done so. ;)

Clips for Spring Load Side Doors

I'm closing this thread now as you have the answer to your "gender" questions".

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.