Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting Niamh and her fiance Luke in real life. I had a great afternoon getting to know them and I felt like I had known them for years.

The first surprise I had for Niamh is that I knew how to pronounce her name correctly. It is not pronounced how it is written as it is in old Gaelic spelling. The second surprise I had for her is that I had my 2 baby Scaley Breasted Lorikeets that I am hand raising with me and she got to hold one. They also got to meet my Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, Charlie. And yes I did take some pictures. I know a couple of the pictures of the baby Scaley with Niamh is outside but it is only still a baby and doesn't have any flight feathers yet. It is still about 3 weeks off fledging so it could not go anywhere on its own. Not something I would do if they were able to fly and would not recommend it to anyone else to do if their bird was fledged even if it was clipped. Where we were I could not take them inside. Here they are.

I hope we can get together again as I had a lovely time.

·
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am glad Niamh. By the way the soup was delicious last night and I am having another big bowl tonight.

Thanks Julie. I have been hand raising them since they were around 10 days old. They are really doing well and are around 4 weeks old now. I haven't hand raised any birds for a couple of years and it is always a joy to watch them grow and become beautiful birds.

Yes Lyn they are my birds. I have the parents and hopefully they will have a couple of more soon. You know that I hope to meet you one day when you come to Sydney for a visit. We will have to try to organize it so that we all meet up together. Both Niamh and Luke are lovely and so much fun.

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
How awesome. Glad you could meet up, and share some pic's. Sweet little bird's Kate...niamh and Luke are a lovely couple, the only thing missing is your picture Kate....:)

·
Member of the Month April 2014
3,537 Posts
Aww, so nice of you all meeting and I'm rather envious because I also wanna meet my hero Katie C! the Photos are wonderful but like Randy said, it's seriously lacking YOU, Katie. Your little baby Lori is sooo adorable:thumbsup:

You and Luke are also a nice couple, Niamh. Btw, how is NIAMH pronounced? I always think it sounds the same as Liam with the H silent.;)

·
Member of the Month June 2015
2,460 Posts
That is so cool that you could all meet up! Niamh, I love the pictures of you and Luke, you both are lovely, and the babies are just precious! How awesome you all were able to meet, sounds like you had a great time!
Thanks StarlingWings :) it was so great to meet Kate and the birds. Charlie is very friendly and the babies just melted my heart! :D

Aww, so nice of you all meeting and I'm rather envious because I also wanna meet my hero Katie C! the Photos are wonderful but like Randy said, it's seriously lacking YOU, Katie. Your little baby Lori is sooo adorable:thumbsup:

You and Luke are also a nice couple, Niamh. Btw, how is NIAMH pronounced? I always think it sounds the same as Liam with the H silent.;)
Haha it's pronounced Neev :)
I offered to take Kate's picture but she was having none of it!

·
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nick and Randy I try to steer clear of the receiving end of camera's. Don't want to break the camera or scare people off.

It is a shame we don't have sound on the forum as Niamh has the most beautiful Irish Brogue, I never get tired of hearing the Irish accent, so much softer than our Australian accent. It didn't survive the generations of my family as the strong Australian accent took over.

Will update pictures of the babies when they are a bit older. I know that Niamh wanted to take them home with her.

·
Super Moderator
19,684 Posts
Thanks StarlingWings :) it was so great to meet Kate and the birds. Charlie is very friendly and the babies just melted my heart! :D

Haha it's pronounced Neev :)
I offered to take Kate's picture but she was having none of it!
Aww :) And I'm an actual Neve, how funny! I love Gaelic and Welsh names, sometimes I think it would be fun to have a name that sounds totally different than it looks ;)

·
Member of the Month June 2014
10,305 Posts
Are Katie. When I come to Sydney for a holiday I just have to have a special photo taken with you to keep for memories and the picture shows that I got to meet you in person....When I show it to my friends I would be very proud for them to see a photo taken with you Kate and me plus Indi insists on having a photo taken so he can see to what a lovely person You are. I am glad you had a wonderful time. Your babies are so cute and adorable....

·
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just for you and Indi Lyn I will allow it. Don't know why I just hate having my picture taken.

Dee if we have a meet up in Sydney you will have to come over. It is not that far across the ditch. We have lots of Kiwi's over here anyway so you should feel right at home. You can always pick the Kiwi's if they say words like Fish and Chips or Sheets. The accent always gives them away.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just for you and Indi Lyn I will allow it. Don't know why I just hate having my picture taken.

Dee if we have a meet up in Sydney you will have to come over. It is not that far across the ditch. We have lots of Kiwi's over here anyway so you should feel right at home. You can always pick the Kiwi's if they say words like Fish and Chips or Sheets. The accent always gives them away.
You mean fush and chups?
I've lived in this beautiful country for over 8 years. Our son was born here and so is, by rights, a Kiwi-Frenchie with an (unfortunate) side of English (I love his dad and anyway nobody is perfect, right?). Téo often brings back Kiwi-ism from school (has anyone ever tried to write with a pin?)
It cracks me up every time. Because we live away from the big(gish) cities, lots of our friends and acquaintances are real stubbies-wearing, gumboot-walking, vowels-chewing local authentics. After all this time, I still often feel like I need the subtitles.

Thanks for the invitation. I'd love to go back to Aussie sometime and I'll make sure to let you know :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.