Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I posted several months ago about an unknown illness in my budgie, Darwin. He began with extreme lethargy and bad posture. I took him to the emergency vet and thing turned out fine, until a week later when he started to deteriorate again. It took about 2 months until I could get him into the avian vet due to the pandemic, he got treatment and seemed mostly fine. He was declared to have healthy levels of megabacteria again, but unfortunately it won't ever go away. Now today, I noticed that he's back to having close to no energy suddenly. He won't eat at all, and runs away from millet. He's been sitting in the same spot for about half an hour now. I can't call my local avian vet because it's the weekend and the vet is closed on the weekend. My only option is to take him to the emergency vet, but that would be extremely expensive. it's $200 just for a check-up, and even more to have them stay overnight and for treatment. I don't know if I can afford that.

So far i've put potassium benzoate in his water, which was one of the treatments that was used when Darwin was diagnosed. As I was writing that he didn't seem to have the energy to go to the water, he just did, so that's good. He hasn't taken a sip yet though. I also noticed that Darwin has some wet looking feathers around his beak and below his beak on his body. I think he might have thrown up at some point, I just haven't seen him do that yet, so I think it must have happened overnight. His droppings look very wet as well.

I read that with megabacteria, budgies will eat a lot all at once, and then eat nothing or close to nothing. Could I expect him to eat a lot later? I just want him to eat because I don't want him to starve at all. I'm hopeful that Darwin will hold on until Monday so I can call the avian vet and get their recommendation. She told me that there's a treatment that's used for this that could be very effective, but they don't currently have it, so maybe they will have it when I call on Monday.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,163 Posts
Sorry he has had a relapse. The only really effective treatment for an active infection that I am aware of is Amphotericin B given orally. This may be the treatment that your vet was referring to as this drug compounded for birds can be difficult to get depending on your location and is not always stocked by the vet and may have to be specially ordered. If he is not eating at all he will need to be hospitalized and tube fed. Sometimes a secondary bacterial infection will go along with the Megebacteria so make sure that is checked. Please keep us updated after you are able to see the vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have a small update, I decided that it would be best for him to go to the emergency vet even if it is quite expensive, I was told that he's now in cue to have a check up, and that he's not critical. Apparently he put up a bit of a fight when Darwin was being picked up. He's generally a pretty wild bird, and he doesn't like when I have to pick him up, so it's good to hear that he has enough energy to try to resist being picked up.

Update: Darwin has been checked out, and the vet can't say for sure what the outcome will be. He's still staying on his perch and he's going to be tube fed. There could also be another infection that's taking advantage of Darwin's state, but they aren't very sure. I'm hopeful that Darwin will be ok since right now he's stable, but it's hard to say what will happen.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
55,321 Posts
Sending prayers and healing energy for little Darwin.
Please keep us updated on how he progresses. :hug:
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top