Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member of the Month January 2014
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This little baby is just about 2 weeks old. I noticed a patch of yellow, looking like a bald spot, and the wings are yellow with some dark markings on the shoulder, so I am wondering if this baby might turn out pied? That would be unexpected! Of course I will love the darling no matter how he/she looks, but I am curious if you can even tell this early.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Yes, he/she is pied alright! I also had an unexpected surprise from my budgie couple this year. I got a recessive pied chick from two seemingly normals, a cobalt blue and a dak green budgie. You can see on my signature, the couple is Mona and Carioca and their daughter is Peppy. :)

·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yay how neat! The dad is normal green and mom is lutino. I guess their genes combined to make pied then? That is cool, I didn't know it happened like that. Aluz that is the most delightful picture, the one of the two with their beaks open always makes me get this "omggg so cute!" Feeling.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Yay how neat! The dad is normal green and mom is lutino. I guess their genes combined to make pied then? That is cool, I didn't know it happened like that. Aluz that is the most delightful picture, the one of the two with their beaks open always makes me get this "omggg so cute!" Feeling.
Yes, your budgie couple is both split to recessive pied. Just like my Mona and Carioca.
Thanks, Caitlin! I was lucky enough to catch the brothers yawning at the same time. :)

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Your little one is definitely a pied of some type! I can not see the markings very clearly to be able to say what kind, although you can often tell as soon as the pigment starts to show with clear pics :)

Because the mom is a lutino she could easily be masking any kind of pied, does she have clear iris rings? She and the dad could also just be split for recessive pied as Aluz mentioned too :)

·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Your little one is definitely a pied of some type! I can not see the markings very clearly to be able to say what kind, although you can often tell as soon as the pigment starts to show with clear pics :)

Because the mom is a lutino she could easily be masking any kind of pied, does she have clear iris rings? She and the dad could also just be split for recessive pied as Aluz mentioned too :)
Yes Lemonaide (the mom) has a clear iris and red eyes. What could that mean?

My guess about which kind of pied is SF D pied, because of the distinct blonde bald spot and the markings on the shoulder, but I wouldn't be confident in that until more feathers come in. I tried to take some better pictures here, maybe you can see them better if you click on the link?

http://i.imgur.com/BSj6ByO.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.