Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my male parakeet, Blackbeard, is missing an eye.

Well, missing meaning it is nonfunctional and about 1/10 of the size it should be - it's not just an empty socket and he does have an eyelid. His lids will open and it will be black behind it, but it's more of a flat, matte black with no lively shininess. It doesn't bother him, and he honestly doesn't seem to notice. He has been checked out by a vet and they said it was 'anophthalmia', a genetic condition where one or both eyes are just shrunken or gone altogether.

Anyone else had a budgie with this? Also, although I am not planning on breeding him intentionally, the new budgie I have I believe to be female. Is it a dangerous thing if they do end up wanting to be parents? Should I prohibit breeding?

Again, he is in no pain and it doesn't bother him in the slightest - he's a perfectly healthy little guy otherwise and has a lovely disposition, but I don't want to risk having any one or no eyed babies!

·
Registered
321 Posts
That is something I have never heard of! I would not breed him since it is genetic and all the babies could pass it on to their babies and you just don't know when it could show up. Also I would be afraid of the mama birds attacking the chicks if they think there is something wrong. another thing I would worry about is having a baby parakeets that had both eyes like that.....it would be blind and unable to survive and heartbreaking to put down.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I've never heard of that in budgies! although my female rat has that, one of her eye's is normal and the other one tiny and pretty sure she is blind in that eye..
i wouldn't breed, it would be genetic I think..

·
Registered
16,696 Posts
I have not had experience with this but it is quite amazing how adaptable budgies can be to things like this. :)

It would not be wise to breed Blackbeard as the cause can have a genetic component, though it could environmental (however I suspect that is much much less likely to be the cause), so if he is being housed with a female, I'd do what I could to prevent breeding (such as limiting daylight hours, not providing a nest box etc...)

Your budgie sounds like a special little guy. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Special is correct.....he flies in a circle! Thanks for the replies - I haven't ever planned on breeding them, but I definitely want to be prepared to prevent it! Never thought about the mom possible attacking the chicks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.