Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think our nestbox has become infected with mites. I was cleaning their box as I do every day and I noticed black specks on their bedding and inside the box. I don't see them moving but the little ones were dropping them like crazy when I put them on their blanket. And I've noticed mom and dad have some too on their tail. What can I do that's safe? They're only 4-3 weeks old right now. Also the nestbox is plastic.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Hopefully one of our expert breeder's will be along to give you some advice. Check out this thread, KateC is as good as they come...

Red mites menace - Talk Budgies Forums

A good clean out of the nest box and the drop or two of eucalyptus might be your only option right now because of the age of the chick's. Hopefully we can get some advice posted for you....:)

Reactions: FaeryBee

·
Member of the Month August 2013
5,121 Posts
Prevention is always easier than curing especially when we are talking nesting boxes. Hopefully you have a spare nesting box, and you can swap this out with the infected one. If you have a wire cage then it will make life a little easier too.

What I would do is, get everything ready for a fast clean and disinfect. Move the chicks to a wee box/container with lots of shaving. Mum and Dad will need to be put into a holding cage because everything needs to be cleaned. Normally I spray a perynthuim solution, but this requires it to be left overnight and may take a couple of applications. Even though it is a natural product I still like to wipe any residue off bfore introducing birds to my breeding cage. This can be done to the nesting box though if you have a spare.

Wipe down the cage with a animal safe disinfectant. We use S7 but whatever is available locally, check with your pet shop or vets. You will also want to give the nesting box a light spray. You can then use diatomaceous earth on the cage floor, under the grill, and sprinkle on the bottom of the nesting box. A drop of euclyptus oil is also said to help.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.