Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I adopted a budgie from my mom and this is the second time he has gotten this bald patch. The feathers grew back last time and they are coming in again. He got moved a few times recently so I don't know if this is stress that caused an extreme moult or if he has mites. Or both. He seems happy enough and not distressed but I honestly don't know much about him. Thanks for any advice.
Bird Wood Feather Beak Wall

Bird Macaw Feather Parrot Art

Bird Eye Beak Parrot Feather
Bird Beak Feather Art Bird supply
Bird Wood Feather Beak Wall
Bird Azure Blue Purple Art
Bird Eye Beak Parrot Feather
Bird Macaw Feather Parrot Art

Bird Azure Blue Purple Art

Bird Beak Feather Art Bird supply

·
Administrator
60,625 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

What is your handsome boy's name?

He is unfortunately going through a really bad molt and those are pin-feathers coming in on his head.

Budgies generally have a first light molt at around 3 - 4 months old and another at 6 -7 months old.
When a budgie reaches at 1 year old their molts adjust to the Seasons., After the adjustment the budgie will have its big molts in the Spring and Fall. Budgies may also have lighter molts throughout the year; triggered by stress, change in diet or change in environment.

You can supplement your budgie’s diet with egg food during a molt.
This helps your budgies replenish the energy lost during the time they lose and grow in the new feathers.
Additionally, egg food promotes good and healthy feather growth.
It is possible to buy ready-made egg food at any specialized pet store but just as easy to make your own by hard boiling an egg and mashing it up.
If you wish you can mix it with a bit of cooked quinoa and flax seed.
You can also finely chop some veggies and add it to the egg food mix.

If your give your budgie cooked quinoa, be sure you rinse it well several times before cooking.

Budgies get itchy during their molt, so they'll preen and scratch more often. Additionally, they may be sleepier and quieter as molting takes a lot of energy, and their poop could be a little runnier. To make them more comfortable, you can offer them baths either in a shallow dish of water (or Lix-It bath) or by hanging wet greens (romaine lettuce or kale works best) in their cage so they can nibble on it and rub against them.

Molting FAQs
Miserable Molting

Please remove that yarn thing from his cage. If he ingests the fibers it can cause crop impaction.
Dangers of Rope Perches, Snuggle Huts, Fabric and Tasseled Toys

Additionally, that bell looks like it may be zinc and is also corroded. It needs to be removed and replaced with a new stainless steel bell.
Rust and corrosion as well as certain metals can cause heavy metal poisoning.

Lead and Zinc Toxicosis

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! I really appreciate all of the advice. His name is Willie. He has had runnier poops. I tried a hard boiled egg earlier today, but I only broke it into tiny bits and he didn't eat it. I'll mash it and mix it with his favorite broccoli. The yarn thing is paper but it seems like that could be an issue so I'll remove that and replace the bells. I have a ladder going up the cage which has colored beads and I'm also worried that could be a problem. All bought from Amazon with assurances that it's non-toxic, but that can't be trusted. Thanks again....my anxieties are relieved!

·
Super Moderator
6,011 Posts
Willie is a handsome guy, all those pinnies together must be very uncomfortable and itchy, don't be surprised if he starts rubbing his head on something, when I see all those pinnies I just want to brush them open, I have attempted that on my birds, it does not work :LOL:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.