Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I brought my Parakeet to the vet for a check up since I have had him for 5 months but he is a year old. I noticed that part of his cere was turning white and on one side of his beak it was crusty. Also he was always preening himself and has lost numerous feathers from it. Currently one of his wings is longer than the other. The vet said that the preening could be from behavior or mites and that his beak could be from lack of nutrition since he is on a seed diet. She didn't want to do a scraping to determine if he has scaly face mites since it is too stressful and right now it's not bad.

So currently I am trying to work on nutrition along with interaction. I have been adding pellets to his seed and eventually will reduce the seed but right now I won't be doing any reducing since he picks out the pellets. I have introduced veggies to him by rolling some sweet potato on millet however he won't touch it. I know I just have to keep trying and hope that eventually he will eat something.

I am most worried about the preening though, he is always plucking which will eventually cause him to try and get some sleep during the day. Is there anyway to determine if it is mites or behavior or is a vet the only way? It's hard introducing new toys to him since he keeps going back to his old chewed up toy but he does have 2 shredding toy and one with a mirror and beads. (I didn't want to have a mirror in his cage but I wanted to see if it would lessen the preening) I can try adding another just it's tough with him.

There is also white powder or something on random places on him, it almost looks like dandruff. He's not tamed yet and I am trying to do everything I can. If he gets worse I will bring him back to the vet. I am just worried he will pluck out all of his feathers. =/ To me it looks like he is super itchy.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
He might have scaly face mites. Please post a picture of his face. If he has SFM, you can treat it with bird-safe dose of Ivermectin (from avian vet) or with bird-specific Vetafarm Scatt (Moxydectin) available over the Internet. While you're waiting for the -ectin, you can smear a thin layer of paraffin oil, vegetable oil or petroleum jelly (e.g., Vaseline) on the beak to smother the mites. Do not get any substance in his nostrils or eyes.

As for plucking, my avian vet offers a handout that identifies several possible causes: Bird Clinic Handouts - Bird Vet Dr. Larry Nemetz Avian Vet Orange CA Pet Birds (see the "Feather Picking" handout). Your avian vet should see your bird to determine the cause. It's possible he's plucking himself because the mites are bothering him.

A picture would help, though. Perhaps he's just going through a heavy molt.

Best wishes.

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,157 Posts
He could have a bad moult happening AND mites - the "dandruff" you are describing is dander - budgie skin and they can get incredibly itchy. Spraying with water, if he likes it, will help with the itching.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will any type of vegetable oil work or is there a specific kind? He is not tamed yet so how many times would the oil have to be applied? Are there any tips I can use so I don't destroy any bonds I have with him? As for pictures, it's extremely hard to get a good picture of his face. I have googled pictures of scaly mites and it looks exactly like what he has just not as bad. I am not sure if he is molting and what his molting period would be since I got him from a pet store. Do you think it could be just a bad molt?

He has been on a seed diet for 5 months now and I think he was on a seed diet at the pet store as well, could it be nutritional and now the effects are just showing? I am trying to introduce veggies however he is stubborn.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't able to find any Vegetable oil but I did find Canola oil. Is that safe to rub on his beak? Also how often does it need to be applied?

Also I have been watching when he preens and I have noticed that with the larger feathers, he will pick out a small white crusty substance from them. Could he be going through a molt and not have mites?

Also is there any kind of mineral block I can get for him to help him get some vitamins into him since he is on a seed diet? He does have a cuttlebone which he loves to use but I wonder if I can get him something else to help. I do have the Prime supplement but since he won't eat veggies or anything that I can sprinkle on I haven't been able to use it. I know it can be placed in water but I would be concerned he wouldn't drink anymore.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
I have only ever heard of olive oil being used taking care not to block the nares, don't know about canola...:)

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Please post clear (in focus) pictures.
Sound to me like a female coming out of condition and is molting :)

·
Long Term Active Member Award April 2015
4,532 Posts
I recommend olive oil, but I am sure canola will do just fine also.. I would apply a very thin layer on the cere and beak once a day... If his feet are crusty looking rub his legs, feet and bum with it too as these places can also become infested... If you have a clear picture of his face we can see if he looks like he has mites. The oil will soothe the dry crusty itch and smother the mites while waiting for treatment from the vet with ivermectin which will ensure all mites are killed. The white crust that he is picking off his feathers sounds like parts of the feather sheath. While growing feathers are encased in a protective sheath that dries to a thin brittle papery consistency .. When preening the birds crush and remove this sheath to reveal a new feather inside.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So yesterday I attempted to apply a thin layer of Canola to his beak however he ended up ingesting some since when I went for his beak he opened his mouth and got some. Is it harmful for him that he ingested some? I find it difficult to try and apply it when he attempts to bite and opens his mouth. Also I notice that on the corners of his beak on the mandible there are crusty spots, is it safe to apply it there if I can? I first want to know if it is safe to continue or if there are any tips on applying so that he doesn't ingest it.

Also I noticed that when I was holding him that the feathers near his skin are quite rough and flaky with the white dandruff. Could it be possible that he doesn't have mites and is going through a bad molt and his beak could be from a nutrition deficiency? I wasn't able to get a picture of his beak since he was extremely stressed and I just wanted to be as quick as possible and put him back into his cage.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,602 Posts
Try vitamin drops from the petstore. My birds refuse veges sO I been adding vitamin/mineral drops to the water and they got healthier. One of my birds had bad poop but no longer.

I think this is what I use.

http://www.petsmart.com/bird/health...-catid-400008?var_id=36-14072&_t=pfm=category

I use one or 2 drops in their water. I do not do too much for if I put too much in i think the water will taste bad to them. I also add it to bath water since they love to drink from it

·
Registered
28 Posts
When the vet checked Goldie on sat, she had crusty bits at the side of her beak, very hard to see past the feathers but he got a magnifying glass to show me. Sunny has been preening her to the stage where she has lost feathers around her left eye, we thought she was moulting (newbie mistake :( ) but all part of the scaly face mites. The vet gave them both a dose of meds via a syringe to the mouth. Follow up visit on sat.

You really need to post some good pictures so the folks in the know can give you a better idea of what you could be dealing with

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,157 Posts
Your budgie really needs a proper diagnosis. There are other things that can cause what you are describing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.