Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been noticing a few little crawling dots on the base of Billy's cage lately :(

Some are so tiny you can barely see them, and some are a bit bigger (but still tiny). They look black, although being so small I guess they could be red or brown too.

I'm assuming they're mites... Billy's not bothered, though - no excessive preening or beak wiping, he doesn't seem itchy, his cere and feet and feathers look great; even the feathers he's moulted in the last few weeks look perfect. So if it is mites, it's early and hopefully I can get rid of them before they become a problem. And I've never seen more than 3 or 4 at a time.

I've taken out his rope swing (and boy does he hate me for that!) because there were clearly things crawling on it. I wiped down the base of the cage with F10 wipes, but there were a few more crawlies this morning. All his other toys are metal (bells), or wood. Is a wipe with F10 good enough for the bells and his plastic food bowls (and the cage itself)? I can bake the wooden toys and perches, if necessary.

What confuses me is that I've had him for about 2 years; he's never come into contact with another bird and I've never seen anything before. So where did they come from?! I did have a problem with mites from a bird nest outside, a few months ago, but that was in a different room and cleared up very quickly. The walls and surfaces around his cage all look clear.

I can take him to the vet if necessary, but shame, it's so stressful for him I'd prefer to avoid it if I reasonably can.

Edit: forgot to say, he had a very thorough vet check about 2 months ago, and there were no signs of anything then :)

·
Registered
37,563 Posts
Hi it does sound like mites. Ivemectin will work for him. As far as his toys and cage if possible completely empty the cage and thoroughly clean with steam, f10, or vinegar. wooden toys need to be scrubbed, baked or replaced in case any mites have found their way into cracks. Placing kitchen paper on the bottom of the cage will help you see them easily. Mites are around more so if you have open paddocks or fields around you too. Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay - I've got a spare cage for him, so I'll put him in there while I sort out and clean the big cage. Probably safer just to replace his wooden toys (even though he hates anything new, he'll just have to deal with it!).

Would I have to take him in to the vet for Ivermectin, or can I just buy it without him being present?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.