Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am interested in seeing pics of your budgies that are a mix of dominant and recessive pied. I am pretty sure my Cheerio is some mix of the 2 since he is sooooo very lightly marked and has almost no green on his tummy like a typical recessive pied nor the green patch on his rump like a typical double factor dominant pied. He looks more like the pics I have seen of mixed recessive and dominant pieds on the internet but I have never seen a conversation of this mutation mix here.

Here are my pics of him. He is the mostly yellow one with a few black markings in all the pics. His name is Cheerio because he reminded me of a Cheerios box, all yellow with a little black! Plus he has a very cheery little warble!

Bird Vertebrate Beak Parrot Organism

Bird Vertebrate Parrot Beak Mammal

Bird Eye Parrot Beak Parakeet

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flower certainly looks like a white version of Cheerio! Maybe greywing too. What have you been told on his mutation before?

·
Registered
388 Posts
i believe i was told he was a recessive pied i got him from a pet store so not real sure what he is since i do not know the parents

·
Registered
321 Posts
When you say a combination of dominant pied and recessive pied what do you mean and are you talking about single factor or double factor? I'm not sure if you mean you have a dominant pied split for recessive pied, or somehow both mutations show up. I have a dominant pied hen split for recessive pied and she had 5 chicks - one dominant pied one clearflight pied and 3 recessive pied.

Here she is
[/URL][/IMG]

Three of her chicks
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
It is possible, but from looking at him I would say he is probably just a recessive with very heavy pied markings :) The amount of markings can very greatly from bird to bird and most combination recessive/dominant do not have any markings on the lower wings, but breeding would be the only way to know for sure :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Lindsay, so does that mean you give me permission to set him up with Owl, my recessive pied girl so I can find out what he is for sure?! I love recessive pieds and I want a whole nest box full of them!! Man being responsible is just no fun!!

That is great info about markings on the lower wings, I see what you mean after looking at some other pics online.

So it looks like flower is simply a recessive pied too. So pretty! RP is my favorite mutation!

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Thanks Lindsay, so does that mean you give me permission to set him up with Owl, my recessive pied girl so I can find out what he is for sure?! I love recessive pieds and I want a whole nest box full of them!! Man being responsible is just no fun!!

That is great info about markings on the lower wings, I see what you mean after looking at some other pics online.

So it looks like flower is simply a recessive pied too. So pretty! RP is my favorite mutation!
Well of you want to see if he is a combination pied, you would actually not want to pair him with another recessive pied, but a normal that is not split for recessive pied :) That way you will be able to see clearly if there is any other pied at work easily, where as with another recessive pied you might not be able to see it even if it was there ;)

Now if you just want more recessive pieds... Definitely go with the hen you mentioned :giggle:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I definitely want more recessive pieds! But..... now is not the time. Just for education sake, what if I paired him with a sf dominant pied hen (who I assume is not split for rp). Would I have the same problem?

I would think then I would get all sf or df dominant pieds if he is df dominant pied + recessive pied and 1:2:1 normal:sf:df if he is sf dominant + recessive and 1:1 normal:sf dominant pied if he only recessive pied. Of course that is only in an ideal world that those ratios would happen.

Anyone want some budgie babies? I am going to have a bunch if I want to figure this out!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.