Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something about this picture cracks me up. He looks like an angry little alien observing us from his UFO.
Haha! You’re so right!

He's a boy, but the above poster is incorrect. He is around 8 months old. He appears to be a bit of an early bloomer with regard to his cere color, but he still hasn't had his first moult or gotten his irises in, which indicates his age.
Ohh, thank you! Am I going to have a tough time taming him as he’s 8 months already? I’ve been very surprised by how quickly he settled in. My last budgies took ages to get confident in their cages, he was having a blast last night! Already eating … and throwing food everywhere lol

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here’s my little buddy “helping” me work :sneaky:. He’s definitely getting tamer by the day, I have no problem with step up etc and he flies to me all the time, but he doesn’t really play with toys yet. Will this come with time? Sometimes he does this very angry shouting and I wonder if he’s bored:(. Most days he’s out the cage for the majority of his waking hours.

Attachments

·
Administrator
59,469 Posts
Not all budgies are overly interested in toys and that is perfectly OK.
You can try to "teach" him to enjoy his toys by playing with them yourself and making excited noises when you do so.
Most budgies love bells and swings -- does he have both?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not all budgies are overly interested in toys and that is perfectly OK.
You can try to "teach" him to enjoy his toys by playing with them yourself and making excited noises when you do so.
Most budgies love bells and swings -- does he have both?
He hasn’t got a swing yet but lots of bells. He’s started to play a bit on my laptop, and he likes me saying “beep”and tapping his beak - he seems to appreciate that’s a game and will run to me if I ask “do you want beep?”. Thank you for your suggestions I’ll expand on what he has; my last budgie liked the plastic activi toys or similar brands, so I may get him some of them too.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okayyy, is he starting to talk? I think he says “baby”. My last male budgie was a real chatterbox, and I don’t expect the same again, but I talk to Mojo the same way and I think maybe I caught something today. However, the people I’ve asked are divided! Link to the video: Mojo

·
Super Moderator
19,595 Posts
I don't hear any clear words, it sounds like normal budgie chatter to me. However, if you're noticing him making new types of chattering sounds, that's a good indication he might pick up words or sounds later on :D

·
Super Moderator
About that…
1,332 Posts
I don't hear any clear words, it sounds like normal budgie chatter to me. However, if you're noticing him making new types of chattering sounds, that's a good indication he might pick up words or sounds later on :D
This.
lots of good resources out there on YouTube about how best to encourage speech. It’s all about repetition :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks both of you! Maybe I am indeed hearing things lol. I have heard some sounds similar to my last budgie Kenco, but it’s tricky to be certain. I wasn’t particularly hopeful Mojo would talk, so it would be a bonus if he does. Time will tell!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts