Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often are budgies supposed to molt I feel like Rio just molted the first week of February and he's molting again especially in his face it looks rough I havent changed anything except I got him a bigger cage about a month ago. It's brand new from PetSmart. Maybe the change has him molting again? I'm not sure I added some pics. Thanks for any advise. Also I can't get him to get in the water as often as I like.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
It varies by individual how often they moult. Some budgies have two to four miserable moults per year, while others may have less severe moults once a month. On the other hand, some have a combination of both. My budgie falls into the last category. As long as he's getting a varied diet and is healthy, there's no reason to be concerned! Additionally it seem like your little one is on the less frequent side of things if his last moult was February! :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe if he is a younger bird the molting was an ongoing process and part of the same moult? My Cookie has been molting for months and I only notice the pin feathers on his head from time to time. Do they have access to baths all the time? My birds sometimes are bathing multiple times a day it helps with the moult.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe if he is a younger bird the molting was an ongoing process and part of the same moult? My Cookie has been molting for months and I only notice the pin feathers on his head from time to time. Do they have access to baths all the time? My birds sometimes are bathing multiple times a day it helps with the moult.
Yes I make sure he gets to bathe every other day as I'm not sure of how often they are supposed to get a bath?

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
Budgies don't need to bathe at all if they don't want to since they naturally preen their feathers and clean them that way. However, many budgies enjoy doing so! If that is the case you can offer him a bath as often as you'd like :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.