Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Kiwi, Marshmallow, Tofu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kiwis been acting off when I got home from school. For the last few days I noticed some black dotted feathers on his face and today he’s been acting really sleepy and kind of defensive when I tried handling him like usual. He’s still eating and want foods and interacts with tofu but he also isn’t flying around like he always does and is just choosing to camp out. Should I be more worried or is he molting? His feather look off and there’s some bareness under his wings (not bald but also not as fluffy). If he is molting is there anything I can do to help the process and make it a little easier for him?
Bird Parrot Yellow Beak Natural material

Yesterday he was flying around and being is loud, normal self. they're diet consist of veges and a little seed to get them encouraged, which he's been eating. his droppings seem normal and his vent is clean

for a moment i thought he was just throwing up but then he started feeding marshmallow so i really don't know whats going on

I really wanna take him to the vet but my parents aren't allowed me and that he's fine but its really worrying me and the way he's being. he was fine yesterday and the days before that. i'm making him a separate cage just in case

See now he’s being normal. He’s letting tofu groom him, he willingly ate millet, now he’s preening himself and hopping around. Idk what to do or what to think. He even got some water and more vegetable mix. I’m so confused

·
Registered
Kiwi, Marshmallow, Tofu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A diet of veggies with a little seed may not be enough, how much seed are you giving and what seeds are in it?
I try not to put to much. It’s zupreem basic seed and I only ever use enough to encourage them to eat. I use to use Katee but I heard bad things about it and stopped buying it. As for the mix I use different stuff every time I make a batch, this particular batch has spinach, kale, cucumber, apple, walnuts, and sweet peppers (seeds and stem removed)

·
Super Moderator
5,262 Posts
Each bird should get 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of seed a day have you tried adding Zupreem pellets to their diet, the canary size seems to be the preferred size as each pellet is about the size of a millet seed. They definitely need additional protein when molting, I hard boil an egg and finely shred the egg white and the birds love it.

·
Registered
Kiwi, Marshmallow, Tofu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Each bird should get 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of seed a day have you tried adding Zupreem pellets to their diet, the canary size seems to be the preferred size as each pellet is about the size of a millet seed. They definitely need additional protein when molting, I hard boil an egg and finely shred the egg white and the birds love it.
No I haven’t but I’ll definitely go to the store when I can and get some. I use to give them the zupreem fruit pellets but they didn’t seem like the were eating it, at least I’d find them scattered on the floor lol. I’ll definitely try the egg! I was worried it would make them sick but I’ll hard boil one and let them chew at it. Thank you for the recommendation

·
Registered
Kiwi, Marshmallow, Tofu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found that shredding the white of the egg makes it more acceptable rather than just sticking a big chuck of egg in the cage.
Yeah that seems like it’s spook them. My birds are pretty picky so I’m careful of what they eat. Are they able to eat the yolk or just the white?

·
Registered
Kiwi, Marshmallow, Tofu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My girl likes scrambled eggs 🤣
i'l defiantly give scrambled a try!

They can eat the yolk but mine don't like it much.
i'll let them try it anyway and see. he seems to be doing a lot better this morning and was the first to wake me up for food. yesterday was cold and snowy so idk if weather plays a part in bird behavior

·
Registered
Kiwi, Marshmallow, Tofu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is Kiwi still fluffed up and lethargic? Please post another picture of how she looks right now.
No hes acting like his crazy self again. He’s the first one to wake me up for food in the mornings and he’s flying out the cage when I open it like usual. I cleaned their cage out completely and out paper towels down to look at his poo and it looks normal. I’ve seen a lot of little green feathers at the bottom tho and he’s been preening and itching a lot more, but other than that he looks and is acting better
Bird Beak Parrot Wood Feather

Bird Eye Parrot Beak Natural material

Bird Eye Beak Parrot Neck

·
Registered
Kiwi, Marshmallow, Tofu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad Kiwi is feeling better, how old is Kiwi, it looks like this bird may be a female. In these pictures the cere looks like it is a tan color, what color is it in person?
Not to sure about the age but I don’t think too old. In person it looks very blue/purple, when I first got him it was a light purple almost dark pink but it got more blue over time. One of my females beak is completely brown while the one in the pictures hasn’t really changed since I got her
Bird Vertebrate Beak Wood Mammal

·
Registered
Kiwi, Marshmallow, Tofu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In this picture the cere shows really blue, the way a male cere would be, so Kiwi is a male, I don't know why the other pictures look so different.:unsure:
it might have been the lighting honestly, he likes to sit on my shoulder and eat millet when i'm doing homework right under my light. he has times where he tries mating with everything in sight so i have to keep an eye on him and try to limit is daylight

·
Super Moderator
5,262 Posts
Since you have a mixed gender pair, limiting the daylight is important for both, never have anything in the cage that the female could use as a nest and if she ever lays an egg, dispose of it right away. It would probably just fall to the bottom of the cage and break. When We Don't Want Eggs!

·
Registered
Kiwi, Marshmallow, Tofu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since you have a mixed gender pair, limiting the daylight is important for both, never have anything in the cage that the female could use as a nest and if she ever lays an egg, dispose of it right away. It would probably just fall to the bottom of the cage and break. When We Don't Want Eggs!
i think mating is starting to get discouraged but there's still times i need to tell them no. they don't have anything in the cage that could really be used for nesting or any dark places. would they possibly try and nest with chew toys? i need to get them more and i know to avoid toys with mirrors but not sure about anything else that could make them frustrated or moody

·
Administrator
58,915 Posts
It depends on the type of chew toy. Please post pictures of the one(s) you are concerned about.

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Rearranging their cage frequently will help tremendously.
Please be sure you never put a nest box or anything that could be used as a nesting site in their cage.
When they come into condition, you need to limit the light they get to 8 hours a day and limit the amount of protein in their diet.

·
Registered
Kiwi, Marshmallow, Tofu
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It depends on the type of chew toy. Please post pictures of the one(s) you are concerned about.

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Rearranging their cage frequently will help tremendously.
Please be sure you never put a nest box or anything that could be used as a nesting site in their cage.
When they come into condition, you need to limit the light they get to 8 hours a day and limit the amount of protein in their diet.
Overall thinks like straw toys and woven balls to chew on. I stay away from toys with string and stick with untreated sisal. My birds really like pine cones so I was wondering if there’s toys sort of like that as well

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.