Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Momo
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Momo handled his first vet visit like a total champion. I was absolutely way more nervous than he was! This was just for a nail trim and general wellness exam. Was relieved that it cost about $100 and not more seeing how outrageous vet trips can be... I went to an avian vet who was very kind! She gave me advice about Momo's diet since it's time to start weaning him off a seed diet. He weighs 28 grams! So small!

Getting him inside the carrier wasn't as bad as I thought. I had it out in the room during free roam so he'd seen it before but he still wouldn't go near it. I did have to grab him to put him in but he handled it very well, didn't bite me, etc.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire Vehicle

The car ride was shockingly good! I covered the clear sides with a towel but left him a small window to see. He was content and even started singing/chirping softly along with my music. On the way home he even started preening and then tapping at the clear sides with his beak, it was very cute and distracting at red lights 馃槀

When he got home he took a minute to realize he could go back inside his cage, then flew right in and got settled quickly. He accepted his treat and went right onto my hand with no hesitation, even after all I put him through!

He is such a good boy! I am so relieved I didn't terrify him horribly. I thought sharing my experience might help some nervous first-timers (like me) feel assured that everything will be okay. I'm sure other birds are more spooked than Momo but if you do all you can to make them comfortable for the journey, I think you will be OK and you won't lose your bird's trust so quickly, either!

Bird Beak Parrot Bird supply Feather

Super Moderator
That's great, were you able to go into the facility with him? My vet is still curbside and I don't like it, it's stressful enough just going.

Registered
Momo
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's great, were you able to go into the facility with him? My vet is still curbside and I don't like it, it's stressful enough just going.
Nope, I couldn't go in. Curbside only here for me, too. :( But I peeked inside at the door, it seemed like a good place. The reviews I found were generally positive, at least when it came to bird care, so I had high hopes that they would take care of him :giggle: For anyone in the Chicagoland area, it was the Midwest Bird and Exotic Animal Hospital.

Administrator
Momo looks so cute in his little carrier!
I'm glad to hear the vet visit went well for him and that he was such a brave boy!

Super Moderator
Nope, I couldn't go in. Curbside only here for me, too. :( But I peeked inside at the door, it seemed like a good place. The reviews I found were generally positive, at least when it came to bird care, so I had high hopes that they would take care of him :giggle: For anyone in the Chicagoland area, it was the Midwest Bird and Exotic Animal Hospital.
I've been there in emergency situations in off hours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts