Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Today I was finally able to take my girls in for their first checkup after finding a vet who looked at birds.
I was told that they where both good weight and I'm so happy about that.

I was also told though that one of my girls, Cobbler, might possibly have a tumor on her ovaries. I've only heard about something like this in male budgies. The vet asked if her cere was ever the color of Mangos, witch is a light blue and white cere, and Cobbler did when I first got her.
Cobblers cere is a deep brown color right now with a slight growth on it. It turned a light tan brown marshmallow color in October. It has not gone back to the white blue used to be and now has been a deep brown for about four months now, 7 months total of it being some shade of brown. I'm not sure if it should have been this color for so long and I was thinking maybe the vet might not really know what a female budgies cere looked like when she was in breeding condition because I'm not sure if he is a professional avian vet. Cobbler is also just a year old and I was told these tumor where more commonly seen in older birds but its not impossible for a younger budgie to have them.
I'm hoping for more opinions about this and more information about what a possible tumor like this could do.

Here is some photos of what here cere and how It used to be

Here's when it first started turning brown in around October, she had just taken a bath in this photo.

Here some photos of her from a week ago

Here it is from when I brought them back from the vet. I'm thinking it might have been possible that they could have scraped some stuff off her cere when she was being check out.

Her behavior has not changed at all, she has been eating well and she love running around the outside of the cage with Mango with occasional flights around the room.
What do you guys think?

Thank you for any information!

·
Administrator
55,301 Posts
It is my understanding that some female budgies ceres never go back to the whitish-tan color.
I would not be overly concerned since Cobbler's behavior has not changed at all and you are not breeding her.

How much daylight is she getting? The amount of daylight can make a huge difference.
Have you tried reducing her daylight hours to no more than 8 hours per day?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm happy this is something I should not overly worry about. Her daylight hours are a mix because she and Mango are in my room and I don't always turn my lights out early due to school work. So there is a range in hours. I was also wondering if Mango would of had some sign of going into breeding condition by now, or do some females just not go into the condition often?

·
Administrator
55,301 Posts
Some females do not go into condition often.
I limit the daylight hours of my budgies and that keeps my female out of condition

·
Super Moderator
17,998 Posts
You've been given great advice :D I agree with FaeryBee completely. I wanted to mention that my girl's cere has never changed back to tan or light blue/white, it's mostly or completely brown all the time (y). It depends on the budgie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts