Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems the day for lovebird questions.

In a few weeks I'm birdsitting - YAY! I am looking after a friend's friend's female lovebird. She's totally tame and loves people and her name is April. I'm really looking forward to having a tame bird again :)

Should I keep her away from my boys? I've heard lovies can be vicious with budgies. Also do you think if they see she is sitting on my shoulder/finger etc it will make them more inclined to want to do so?

Can I watch them playing together or is that dangerous as well? Will they be curious about her? :S

·
Administrator
59,662 Posts
I would be extremely vigilant if you let the lovebird out of the cage when the boys are having out-of-cage time.
Lovebirds can have a vicious bite and are apt to severely injure a budgie.

If the boys see April perched on your shoulder and interacting with you, it will indeed make them curious and more inclined to want to do the same.

I allow Peachy out at the same time as Skipper and Scooter but ONLY under the closest supervision.
Skipper still wants to be friends with Peachy but Peachy has no interest in other birds.
Peachy's fine with Skipper being around him as long as Skipper stays out of his "personal" space.
Of course, Skipper wants to be right in Peachy's face so Peachy ends up chasing him around.
Scooter has now decided to get in on the action as well.
I can usually only have Peachy downstairs with me for short periods since I end up trying to keep the three of them away from one another the entire time. :rolleyes:

I can allow Peachy, Sunny and Sparky out at the same time in the bedroom (under supervision but not as vigilant as with Skipper and Scooter) because Sunny and Sparky are much "faster" than Skipper and Scooter at moving away when Peachy gets near them. Although, occasionally, Sunny will try to sneak up behind Peachy to bite his tail. :wow:

All in all, Peachy is a "people" bird and much prefers my company over that of the budgies and he has no interest in Pedro and Poppy (which is good because given half a chance I know they would attack him :eek:)

I hope my ramblings will help a little with your questions. ;)

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,707 Posts
If April had contact with other birds, even budgies it may very well work for short periods of time (budgies can annoy the lovebird with their excitedness), but if she has been a solo bird, then it's best to not risk it because things can turn out bad quite fast.
You can let her out while your boys are safely in the cage and they will still be able to see her perched on your finger and closely interacting with you.

Good luck with the birdsitting and if possible, post a couple of pics of April! :D

Reactions: Frankie'sFriend

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be extremely vigilant if you let the lovebird out of the cage when the boys are having out-of-cage time.
Lovebirds can have a vicious bite and are apt to severely injure a budgie.

If the boys see April perched on your shoulder and interacting with you, it will indeed make them curious and more inclined to want to do the same.

I allow Peachy out at the same time as Skipper and Scooter but ONLY under the closest supervision.
Skipper still wants to be friends with Peachy but Peachy has no interest in other birds.
Peachy's fine with Skipper being around him as long as Skipper stays out of his "personal" space.
Of course, Skipper wants to be right in Peachy's face so Peachy ends up chasing him around.
Scooter has now decided to get in on the action as well.
I can usually only have Peachy downstairs with me for short periods since I end up trying to keep the three of them away from one another the entire time. :rolleyes:

I can allow Peachy, Sunny and Sparky out at the same time in the bedroom (under supervision but not as vigilant as with Skipper and Scooter) because Sunny and Sparky are much "faster" than Skipper and Scooter at moving away when Peachy gets near them. Although, occasionally, Sunny will try to sneak up behind Peachy to bite his tail. :wow:

All in all, Peachy is a "people" bird and much prefers my company over that of the budgies and he has no interest in Pedro and Poppy (which is good because given half a chance I know they would attack him :eek:)

I hope my ramblings will help a little with your questions. ;)
I was hoping you would see this Deb. Firstly I will never forget the photos of Skipper trying to be in Peachy's space/face :) Yes, that helps. I will not risk it even if out of cage time with me supervising as I don't know what April may do. I do hope the boys will be curious enough to copy her being on my shoulder etc.

I wish I'd known more about lovebirds as I really want a companion bird (after Frankie being such a great little companion). I didn't know they tend to love people. I love my budgies so much though. I just don't know if I could be as clever and diligent as you and Aluz and many others on here with having both species. We'll see what I say after I have Ms April stealing my heart hey? :rolleyes:

If April had contact with other birds, even budgies it may very well work for short periods of time (budgies can annoy the lovebird with their excitedness), but if she has been a solo bird, then it's best to not risk it because things can turn out bad quite fast.
You can let her out while your boys are safely in the cage and they will still be able to see her perched on your finger and closely interacting with you.

Good luck with the birdsitting and if possible, post a couple of pics of April! :D
Thanks so much. Yes, I think I will not risk it not knowing April very well. I will definitely be posting pictures :)

·
Administrator
59,662 Posts
Madonna,

I'm pretty sure that if April is anything like my Peachy and Ana's Khaleesi you are going to be wanting a hand-raised baby lovebird of your own after birdie-sitting for her.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience and seeing pictures of her visit! :hug:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.