Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to have an opportunity to get either a male or female lacewing, with the hopes of breeding lacewings in the future, which gender should I take? Also, in the opposite sex, what is better to get as a mate, a cinnamon or an ino? Thanks in advance.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
A male without a doubt since it I sex linked :) a female will only produce males split to it, but a male will have all female lacewing chicks ;)

And I believe either would be about the same since they are mix of both, I guess it would depend on if you wanted more inos or cinnamons :)

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
And that is what I was thinking, so....hopefully, I'll have him soon. :)
That's so exciting! :D I wish I could have been so lucky as to find one :giggle:

Where are you getting him from if you don't mind me asking? And I hope we will get to see lots of pics once he is home? ;)

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a breeder of English budgies in South Florida...her name escapes me now. We've exchanged some emails and in one of her pics, I thought I spied a couple of lacewings hiding in the back (and a clearbody) and she confirmed. They are both male and available. I've asked her for more photos before I make the drive to get him. She also has a nice BIG lutino boy that just weaned.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
A male lacewing would be better mated to a cinnamon or a normal hen than mating him to an ino because the lacewing chicks will be obvious as soon as they are born instead of having to wait until they leave the nest. Also an ino hen could be masking other mutations that could reduce the lacewing markings.

When choosing a mate look for a hen with strong markings

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Nev. I was leaning toward a cinny hen already, but now it's solidified. I'm hoping to have them before the end of the year. So excited!

·
Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,409 Posts
More Talk---

Hi,

David Eberst, in Archer Florida,near Gainesville, has rares including, lace wing Texas clearbody, lutino, and occasionally Frosted pied, though the pied may not be for sale. Check with him to see what he has comming up or 2011. See BAA website for his contact info. He has a Budgie show for English probably in June. Check later for show dates for next year. Good place to buy birds at Shows.

Blessings,

Jo Ann :budgie:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.