Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We're trying to determinate each parents' genotype, so here is the available data...

Parents:

Mozart [****]

Constance [Hen]

Offsprings:

Bean [Older one that died]

Fava [Younger one]

What we know:
- Male is split opaline.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Mozart is cobalt normal (or cobalt double factor yellow face type 1 normal) and I think Constance is light green opaline. (I see a clear area on Constance's wing and I'm not sure what that means.)

Both chicks are opaline. If either chick was male, then Mozart is split for opaline. If both chicks are female, then Mozart need not be split for opaline. http://www.***************/gen_opaline.html

I'll let the experts opine why Fava is a light green full body color greywing or clearflight.

You have a beautiful family!

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
I am taking a random stab and I am saying Bean and her mother are saddlebacks. I have no experience whatsoever with the mutation, so I would and can only assume it is dominant. I does not look opaline to me, sorry I can't right a full explanation, I am on my phone and cannot link or type properly. Can another member more experienced look at it please ..... Other people will come along and share their opinion :)

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Wow Sophie your right Constance does look like a saddle back. Im sure nev or tonic will be along shortly to help :)

But for chicks to be visual opaline the dad MUST be split for it since it is a sex linked gene :) If he wasnt the mom would just pass it on to her sons in a split form and all would look normal :)

However if they are saddlebacks that would be different than opaline, but I am not sure about how it works :D

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i do not see saddleback. they have grey markings on the top part of the wings, no body colour on the wings, and do not have the white stripe on the last flight feathers like opalines.

the male is a cobalt split for opaline, but his wings look grey rather than black... is that right or just the photo?

the hen is an opaline but i am not sure of the shade, probably dark green though she looks a bit olive.

as far as the young chick goes, i can't tell from the photo what shade of green it is, but it is opaline and some form of dilute variety. once it is older we should be able to tell which variety and that will tell us more about the parents.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The **** is normal cobalt
The hen is opaline dark green
1st chick opaline light green
2nd chick opaline greywing light green

The **** must be split for opaline & both birds must be split for greywing

·
19,551 Posts
Oh well. I was wrong :p
Haha join the club :D

Nev and Tonic, why do you think the mom and babies have the strange wing markings where the black is only in a small space on the middle of the wing? Just poorly marked?

I have never seen one like that... I am sure its unlikely in this case, but is it possible for a bird to be saddleback and opaline?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts

Haha join the club :D

Nev and Tonic, why do you think the mom and babies have the strange wing markings where the black is only in a small space on the middle of the wing? Just poorly marked?

I have never seen one like that... I am sure its unlikely in this case, but is it possible for a bird to be saddleback and opaline?
I have some opalines with just a few markings markings like these. I like them better than the ones with a lot of markings.

A bird can be both opaline & saddleback

·
19,551 Posts
I have some opalines with just a few markings markings like these. I like them better than the ones with a lot of markings.

A bird can be both opaline & saddleback
I agree they are beautiful :) Thanks for answering that for me Nev :)

I will stop asking questions on someone elses thread now! lol :eek: :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i do not see saddleback. they have grey markings on the top part of the wings, no body colour on the wings, and do not have the white stripe on the last flight feathers like opalines.

the male is a cobalt split for opaline, but his wings look grey rather than black... is that right or just the photo?

the hen is an opaline but i am not sure of the shade, probably dark green though she looks a bit olive.

as far as the young chick goes, i can't tell from the photo what shade of green it is, but it is opaline and some form of dilute variety. once it is older we should be able to tell which variety and that will tell us more about the parents.
The male has some kind of grey colour in the wings, yes. When I was doing the crossings and getting the genotypes, I assumed that he was a fullbody-greywing. Only that could explain the possible clearwing or greywing mutation of Fava.

The hen is more dark green than olive.

I also think that the pattern mutation is not saddleback, instead an opaline.

The **** is normal cobalt
The hen is opaline dark green
1st chick opaline light green
2nd chick opaline greywing light green

The **** must be split for opaline & both birds must be split for greywing
Full-body greywings are split for greywing and split for clearwing.

I agree they are beautiful :) Thanks for answering that for me Nev :)

I will stop asking questions on someone elses thread now! lol :eek: :D
Please, ask as many questions as you want: this is a forum.

Sorry to go off topic, but please remove the plastic perches and replace them with natural perches. Its not good for the budgies feet and can easily cause Bumblefoot :(
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
if the dad has grey markings then he could well be a full bodied greywing (which is the prescence of both greywing and clearwing rather than being split for both...) though the markings look very dark in the photo.

the chick does not look like a clearwing or full bodied greywing to me, it seems a bit diluted in body colour and cheek patch colour. so the hen must be split for greywing or dilute.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if the dad has grey markings then he could well be a full bodied greywing (which is the prescence of both greywing and clearwing rather than being split for both...) though the markings look very dark in the photo.

the chick does not look like a clearwing or full bodied greywing to me, it seems a bit diluted in body colour and cheek patch colour. so the hen must be split for greywing or dilute.
If the chick's dilute, then dad can't be full-body geywing. Yes, his markings are darker than those of the full-body greywing mutation.
We'll need to cross them one or two more times, in order to reveal the entire panel of muations. This crossing just told us that Mozart's split opaline and that the two of them have one dark factor (Mozart's a cobalt and Constance's a dark green), since the two chicks are homozygotic (i.e. have no dark factor). Further crossings must be taken in consideration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.