Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Vi's Mrs. Fezziwig's mom, Daffy. I know Daffy is an opaline, but what is her right mutation name? Also is her mate Brady who is also Mrs. Fezziwig's father. I know he has a yellow face which I believe is type 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
I am guessing the dad has at least one dark factor.

·
Registered
599 Posts
that's what i figured when i saw him and mrs fezziwig
so she's carrying dark factor, and opaline
i wonder what her babies are going to look like if she ends up with captain cuttle as a pair

i imagine captain cuttle is going to molt to that seafoam green/blue sort of color

vi

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking Brady was charcoal grey with olive green in him but he looks more olive green than I thought. They also been giving like a blue shade with yellow heads along with ones like Mrs. Fezziwig. I believe the blue has like a grey tint to it. Brady is unusual coloring.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And my Brady is also half english. He doesnt show it in the pic but he is slightly bigger than his mate Daffy and others. His kids always are bigger than the normal sized americans.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Dominant pied opaline light green hen.

**** looks to be a Yellow face type one opaline mauve. If the chicks are all dark greens and cobalts, then he is definately mauve.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I would love a picture of their kids, especially Mrs Fezziwig.

Birds cant be split for dark factors. Heres a brief explanation:

Greens come in three colours depending on the presence or absence of a dark factor (a budgie can only hold up to two dark factors) -

- Light green (zero dark factor gene, can never pass on any dark factor to their kids as they dont have it)
- Dark green (one dark factor gene, each child has a 50% chance of receiving this dark factor, or not receiving it)
Olive green (two dark factor genes, meaning that this bird will always pass on one single dark factor to all of its children).

Now blue budgies are exactly the same, except they cannot produce yellow. So the above colours, MINUS yellow appear visually as follows -

- Sky blue (zero dark factor gene, can never pass on any dark factor to their kids as they dont have it)
- Cobalt (one dark factor gene, each child has a 50% chance of receiving this dark factor, or not receiving it)
- Mauve (two dark factor genes, meaning that this bird will always pass on one single dark factor to all of its children).

So a light green bred to a olive green works like this: The light green hen passes on zero dark factor genes, so all chicks will get one normal gene from this parent. The olive green parent passes on one single dark factor gene to all its chicks. So this light green and olive green pairing can only produce chicks with one dark factor, which means all green chicks will be dark greens (one single dark factor).

Light green x light green = 100% light greens
Light green x dark green = 50% light greens, 50% dark greens
Dark green x dark green = 25% light greens, 50% dark greens, 25% olive greens
dark green x olive green = 50% dark greens, 50% olive greens
olive green x olive green = 100% olive greens

Same goes for the blues with the equivalent dark factors.

·
Registered
599 Posts

the body colors on mrs fezziwig are green, blue, yellow and a dark green, i think i also see some gray! however they may be changing as all the birds are in the molt

I would love a picture of their kids, especially Mrs Fezziwig.

Birds cant be split for dark factors. Heres a brief explanation:

Greens come in three colours depending on the presence or absence of a dark factor (a budgie can only hold up to two dark factors) -

- Light green (zero dark factor gene, can never pass on any dark factor to their kids as they dont have it)
- Dark green (one dark factor gene, each child has a 50% chance of receiving this dark factor, or not receiving it)
Olive green (two dark factor genes, meaning that this bird will always pass on one single dark factor to all of its children).

Now blue budgies are exactly the same, except they cannot produce yellow. So the above colours, MINUS yellow appear visually as follows -

- Sky blue (zero dark factor gene, can never pass on any dark factor to their kids as they dont have it)
- Cobalt (one dark factor gene, each child has a 50% chance of receiving this dark factor, or not receiving it)
- Mauve (two dark factor genes, meaning that this bird will always pass on one single dark factor to all of its children).

So a light green bred to a olive green works like this: The light green hen passes on zero dark factor genes, so all chicks will get one normal gene from this parent. The olive green parent passes on one single dark factor gene to all its chicks. So this light green and olive green pairing can only produce chicks with one dark factor, which means all green chicks will be dark greens (one single dark factor).

Light green x light green = 100% light greens
Light green x dark green = 50% light greens, 50% dark greens
Dark green x dark green = 25% light greens, 50% dark greens, 25% olive greens
dark green x olive green = 50% dark greens, 50% olive greens
olive green x olive green = 100% olive greens

Same goes for the blues with the equivalent dark factors.
so if mrs fezziwig's mom daffy is the green
and her father is the mauve
what would her chicks mated with captain cuttle be?
mostly green right as that is dominant...

let me see if i got this straight
she could have the dark green like her
a light green
possibly the t3yf with the seafoam
and maybe yellows?

did i get that right?
she won't have any blue ones with the white face, and also she most likely won't have any mauves
at least not with captain cuttle

vi

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Oooh i have seen her before. She is a dark green opaline :) Which means her father is a mauve like i suspected. Ok i will try to explain how the genetics would work for these two.

Mrs Fezziwig is a dark green opaline split for blue. Basically that means she has one normal yellow producing gene (so she is green) and one faulty gene (eg split for blue). The good gene is strong enough to produce all the yellow she needs to be a normal green, so carrying the faulty gene wont change her appearance. Because her father is a yellowface (simply meaning he has a partially faulty yellow pigment gene instead of a fully faulty one), there is a 50% chance that she is actually split for yellowface instead of being split for blue. Technically either the faulty or partially faulty gene would mean she is still referred to as being 'split for blue'.

Captain cuttle is a yellowface (looks to be type 1) sky blue.

So dark green opaline hen split for blue (ignore yellowface possibility for now) X yellowface sky blue ****:

hen has 50% chance of passing on one dark factor, **** has no dark factors so chicks will be:
50% normal, 50% dark factor.

Now Captain cuttle can only pass on his blue genes, so the hen gives the chicks a 50% chance of being green and since she is split for blue, there is a 50% chance of blue chicks.

Mix those two genes together and you get:
25% light green split for blue, 25% sky blue, 25% dark green split for blue, 25% cobalt.

Now the yellowface thing can get complicated, so I will ignore Mrs Fezziwig and just say it is a normal blue gene she is carrying. Since yellowface will only SHOW in blues, you ignore the fact she is green and say that every BLUE chick she has will only get a normal blue gene. Therefore, since Captain cuttle has one normal blue gene and one yellowface gene the blue chicks have a 50% chance of being yellowface (technically not correct, but true enough and simpler to say it this way).

So lets mix that in...
12.5% light green split for blue
12.5% light green split for yellowface blue
12.5% sky blue
12.5% yellowface sky blue
12.5% dark green split for blue
12.5% dark green split for yellowface blue
12.5% cobalt
12.5% yellowface cobalt

The last thing to do would be to factor in opaline, which is a sex linked gene. All chicks have a 50/50 chance of being male/female. So basically, instead of a 12.5% chance (or 1 in every 8 chicks born to those parents) of being say a cobalt, if you add in the 50% chance of being either male or female (Ie half the chance) think of it as a 6.25% chance (1 in 16 chicks) of getting a normal cobalt female and a 6.25% chance of being a normal cobalt male split for opaline. This is because Mrs Fezziwig will pass her Y chromosome to all her daughters, but sex linked genes are on the X chromosome. This is why there are more females with sex linked mutations (since males need the mutation on both X chromosomes to visually present as a sex linked mutation, whereas females only have one x and one y chromosome so if the mutation is present on their single x chromosome they visually express it - eg Mrs Fezziwig being opaline).

Yeah that last bit is a bit confusing huh lol. Its late :p You'll get the hang of it soon enough lol.

·
Registered
599 Posts
thank you so very much

yes her father is a mauve
(the picture of him is on page one of this thread)

so unless the **** (captain cuttle) is opaline (which he isn't)
no opalines for this pairing

so i could possibly get some mauves but most likely NOT a white faced gray

i think i really do need to eventually breed some of these birds to truly learn in practice what will produce what
(good thing we have the space for outdoor aviaries, i am thinking..... we may need it)

i am hoping eventually to get more budgies, and i want violets, mauves, and sky blues as well as lutino
i am thinking we better start planning the budgie aviary NOW
and start work as soon as the new duck pens are finished

vi

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, So you are saying my Brady who is Mrs. Fezziwig's father is a mauve? I thought he was charcoal grey with a bit of olive green in him. I know he is a yellow faced guy. The 2 have been giving me only 2 colors of babies which is like mrs. fezziwig and ones like you just said are cobalt. The cobalts all have yellow faces, but not as bright as Brady's yellow face.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wow, So you are saying my Brady who is Mrs. Fezziwig's father is a mauve? I thought he was charcoal grey with a bit of olive green in him. I know he is a yellow faced guy. The 2 have been giving me only 2 colors of babies which is like mrs. fezziwig and ones like you just said are cobalt. The cobalts all have yellow faces, but not as bright as Brady's yellow face.
pair him with a blue or gray hen erica

let's see what you get

vi

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He is interested in his one daughter who is blue which I now know as yellow faced type 1 cobalt. I dont really want him mating with her cause she is his daughter. The pairs are supposed to mate for life.

·
Registered
599 Posts
He is interested in his one daughter who is blue which I now know as yellow faced type 1 cobalt. I dont really want him mating with her cause she is his daughter. The pairs are supposed to mate for life.
no not his daughter

and while they do tend to stay with their mates they will also occationally sneak a bit on the side or even divorce....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I know. Brady doesnt live with his wife cause he distroys the eggs and chases her off the nest. All he cares about is sex with her. I have tried lots of times to let him stay with her but I dont want the eggs broken. The pair have only given me one male out of all the babies they had. That male is yellow faced type one cobalt. He is in his own home now with his own mate with someone else who bought him almost a year ago.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you very much. Daffy is a pretty girl and a good mom even though she does all the work herself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.