so if mrs fezziwig's mom daffy is the greenI would love a picture of their kids, especially Mrs Fezziwig.
Birds cant be split for dark factors. Heres a brief explanation:
Greens come in three colours depending on the presence or absence of a dark factor (a budgie can only hold up to two dark factors) -
- Light green (zero dark factor gene, can never pass on any dark factor to their kids as they dont have it)
- Dark green (one dark factor gene, each child has a 50% chance of receiving this dark factor, or not receiving it)
Olive green (two dark factor genes, meaning that this bird will always pass on one single dark factor to all of its children).
Now blue budgies are exactly the same, except they cannot produce yellow. So the above colours, MINUS yellow appear visually as follows -
- Sky blue (zero dark factor gene, can never pass on any dark factor to their kids as they dont have it)
- Cobalt (one dark factor gene, each child has a 50% chance of receiving this dark factor, or not receiving it)
- Mauve (two dark factor genes, meaning that this bird will always pass on one single dark factor to all of its children).
So a light green bred to a olive green works like this: The light green hen passes on zero dark factor genes, so all chicks will get one normal gene from this parent. The olive green parent passes on one single dark factor gene to all its chicks. So this light green and olive green pairing can only produce chicks with one dark factor, which means all green chicks will be dark greens (one single dark factor).
Light green x light green = 100% light greens
Light green x dark green = 50% light greens, 50% dark greens
Dark green x dark green = 25% light greens, 50% dark greens, 25% olive greens
dark green x olive green = 50% dark greens, 50% olive greens
olive green x olive green = 100% olive greens
Same goes for the blues with the equivalent dark factors.
pair him with a blue or gray hen ericaWow, So you are saying my Brady who is Mrs. Fezziwig's father is a mauve? I thought he was charcoal grey with a bit of olive green in him. I know he is a yellow faced guy. The 2 have been giving me only 2 colors of babies which is like mrs. fezziwig and ones like you just said are cobalt. The cobalts all have yellow faces, but not as bright as Brady's yellow face.
no not his daughterHe is interested in his one daughter who is blue which I now know as yellow faced type 1 cobalt. I dont really want him mating with her cause she is his daughter. The pairs are supposed to mate for life.