Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is one of the three mutations at 6 weeks old. Now if this picture doesn't post, I will have to wait until my daughter comes over and I am so sorry for my lack of technical skills. You've all been so very kind and patient. Has anyone had a mutation like this? I am unsure if there will be a problem with longevity.

Attachments

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
Thats defently a feather duster :(

Sadly they are not known to live long due to ALL the nutrients the budgie takes in goes into growing those feathers ( which causes a negitive effect , giving the bird a short life. )

Make sure to feed him food HIGH in fats and protines such as millet , canary seed etc.

He'll need his feathers around his bum , legs and eyes trimmed back to help him be more comfortable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am feeding millet, seed, pellets, canary seed, oat groats, and a birdie bread that I make with egg, baby cereal, wheat germ, flax seed, oatmeal, cornmeal,and oil.

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
The feathers are not growing. What are the possibilities of having three feather dusters out of 5 chicks?
Technically its a defected mutation causing unrestricted feather growth. Im not entirly sure of the ratio of 3 out of 5 chicks being a duster. They are rare but in my opinion something that shouldn't be bragged about seeing it causes negitive and potential shorter life spans in the birds :eek: ( thats just me tho ).

Please don't breed those parents again.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
From my understanding you should not pair the same birds together.

However the best person to talk to is Barrie Shutt as I believe he has bred a couple, he also has a website so if you just google him he comes up and theres a lot of information on there :)

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
Poor little guys. If a proper diet is worked out, can they live normally? Or is it still too much stress on the system?
Not a 100% normal life , but pretty close :) with daily trims and top bird seed and pellets to replenish the nutriention the feathers take. However thats not a reason to bred that pair again :eek:

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
sorry but feather dusters are not cute

how can any one even think a genetic deformity is cute? these birds barely ever live past 1 year old the feathers just keep growing and curling and in the end kill the bird

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your help

Barry was a big help and sent me information on the feather dusters. Thanks very much for suggesting I contact him.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What a cutie!
Unfortunatly your budgie has feather duster syndrome, this is a kind of downs syndrome in budgies. You may think it's cute but their lives are cut short becuase of their condition which is such ashame.

Your budgie concerntrates so much on growing that her immune system suffers and typically feather duster don't live as long.

Good luck with him :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.