Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
She doesn't look like a rainbow to me but I could be wrong :p
She looks like a yellow face type 1 skyblue greywing.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Yellow face opaline greywing sky blue. He looks like a type 1 yellow face at the moment but as he is still quite young the yellow may spread.

A rainbow is yellow face opaline clearwing blue. The clearwing mutation has brighter body colour and lighter wing markings

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
its prolly hard to tell by the pics but he does have the clearwings
nev is an experienced breeder, i would trust his judgement :)
and as brandon says, the clearwing gene is dominant, it would show if he was clearwing :)
Actually, clearflight is dominant, clearwing is only co-dominant with grey wing, which this budgie has. But still, if he were clearwing, the wings and head would have very very light markings, if any. The body colour would also be brighter, rather than diluted, which is in the pictures.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok,well thanx..whatever his color is called,i think its beautiful....could u answer my sis question above ,who would he have to pair with to get his colorings...thanx=]

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
ok,well thanx..whatever his color is called,i think its beautiful....could u answer my sis question above ,who would he have to pair with to get his colorings...thanx=]
Do you mean what mutation would he have to mate with the get chicks his colour? If so, he would likely have to breed with a female that is opaline, a female that is sky blue, the female budgie would have to be greywing. As for the yellowface, I'm not exactly sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanx=]now if i did decide to breed him with the green opaline famales i aquired from my sis,and assuming he is the yellow face opaline greywing sky blue as suggested earlier,what color would you think the chicks would be?

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
thanx=]now if i did decide to breed him with the green opaline famales i aquired from my sis,and assuming he is the yellow face opaline greywing sky blue as suggested earlier,what color would you think the chicks would be?
Hmm, well, let's see here:

All the chicks would be green split for blue.
All chicks would be opaline.
All would be normal split for dilute.
Again, not sure about the yellowface, sorry. :eek:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

a clearwing would have the normal strength skyblue body colour and paler markings on the wings. a greywing has the stronger grey markings like he has and also the paler blue shade like he has. so i would say yellow face 1 opaline greywing too.

he could well be carrying the clearwing gene, (it is recessive to greywing) so you may be able to breed rainbows from him. you would want to mate him with a blue clearwing or a dilute to try and get blue clearwing chicks with yellow face and opaline.

rainbow is just a name for a particular combination of varieties that many people really like, there are many other beautiful combinations too. he is lovely just as he is!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
if the parents are not split for anything you would get green opaline chicks split for greywing. half would be yellow face also.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Actually, clearflight is dominant, clearwing is only co-dominant with grey wing, which this budgie has. But still, if he were clearwing, the wings and head would have very very light markings, if any. The body colour would also be brighter, rather than diluted, which is in the pictures.
whoopsie, my mistake :eek:
hehehe. still learning :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.