Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can someone give me help with Bobby and Peppers actual mutation? They hate cameras so these are the best pics I can get for now. If anyone needs more let me know. Lots of pics ahead:

Bobby (male) = darker blue with darker markings on wings.
Pepper (female) = lighter blue with lighter markings on wings.

Pepper (left), Bobby (right)

P.S Peppers cere is turning slightly brown. I know this means she is "coming into mating season" but my question is, if she is in mating season, does that mean she will DEFINITELY mate/have babies?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Looks like a Greywing, I'm not sure I'm terrible at this stuff. Maybe albino because of muted color.

And no not DEFINATELY ! If you don't give her a nestbox she probably won't and if she starts doing it in the water dish or a corner take it out. Try giving muted light. Budgies will mate when there's an abundance of light, food, and water.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Both look like they have no iris ring so both recessive pied. Yes a brown cere means coming into condition. No she won't have babies unless you add a nestbox. Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who is the grey wing out of the two? Would love other peoples take on their mutations! Im glad to hear she wont definitely mate and I certainly wont supply her with a nest box, Ill remember your tips too.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Pepper looks like a Grey Wing because of her wing feather tips. Look at them. The way the camera hits the wings the tips don't look black they look a bit diluted grey, don't you think?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh right. I thought Bobby might have had dark grey wing markings so I didnt know which you meant but I get you now! Anyone else? Two different take on things.

·
Registered
936 Posts
they are deffently pied, i dont know too much about greywing so im not sure. how old are they? if they are not youngsters and dont/havnt develope/d iris rings they are deffently recessive pied, if they get iris rings then they are dominant pied. hope this help, both beautiful birds

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'm a new budgie owner so I can't really help with the color mutation but just wanted to say they're beautiful birds!!! Congratulations!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, they are so beautiful. Their age - Bobby is approx 10 months old, Pepper maybe 8-9 months old. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
They are definatley recessive pieds.

This thread should be in budgie mutations, more people would see it there. Then you can see if anyone thinks they are grey wing, I'm not sure.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Pepper is a greywing recessive pied sky blue
Bobby is a recessive pied cobalt

Because of his mutation Bobby's cere will stay pink. If they don't have anything that they could possibly think is a nest they are unlikely to try to breed though sometimes a pair will mate but not produce eggs. Only a small percentage of hens will lay eggs without a nest

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, I didnt know there was a thread for mutations, I will repost there now so feel free to lock this thread but their mutations sound lovely nev90 if you are correct :D thanks all.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
I'll move this to budgies mutations and genetics and delete the new thread you've just made since you've got answers on this one already :p

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well I know most budgie's wingtips are black so I'm almost positive that at least one is a greywing! :eek: It could be just the quality of the pictures though:eek:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pepper does have very light grey markings on her wings, unlike Bobby so it does sound like she is a greywing! Thanks again all.

Sorry for posting this in the wrong place, thanks for moving it :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.